P0134 DTC and now P0171 but o2 sensor has voltage

Old 03-29-12, 07:23 PM
P0134 DTC and now P0171 but o2 sensor has voltage

Hello.
My 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 3.0L has developed a problem. A month or so ago the check engine light came on. When I got home I read the code and it said P0134 which is bank 1 sensor 1 no activity detected. I plotted a graph of bank 1 sensor 1 and bank 2 sensor 1 and both showed activity with voltage switching about the same. I cleared the light and it stayed off for a couple days. I did this same thing several times over the next few days. I have crawled under the car and jiggled all the sensor connections and wiring and see no obvious problems there. Now the light is on and showing P0134 and now P0171 which is bank 1 system too lean. I looked at my short term and long term fuel trim numbers and they are pretty darn close for both banks with short term being 0% and long term around 8% (I am doing this off the top of my head from a couple days ago).
My question is: Is this simply a bad o2 sensor? or something else? Can someone give me a part number and location for the bank 1 sensor 1 O2 sensor?
Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-12, 07:37 AM
Bank 1 sensor 1 is on passenger side, before catalytic converter. I'd change it up.

Old 04-05-12, 06:04 PM
replaced o2 sensor, reset light and again get P0134

Well,.....
I replaced bank 1 sensor 1 with a new oxygen sensor, reset the light and as soon as it completed a drive cycle the light came on again. I checked the code and it is again the P0134. I again graphed the sensor output and am getting activity from the sensor....any more ideas?

Old 04-05-12, 07:27 PM
Did you check for continuity between the two white heater element wires to ensure that the wire connector is properly connecting to the sensor? When you test the bank 1 sensor are your seeing progressively more rapid voltage movement between rich and lean as the RPM's increase? The P0134 code pertains to the 02 sensor heater which is required to function when the engine is cold. Asuming that you did not buy a new but defective 02 sensor, the next check should be the wiring harness contact connections I think. The heater on the 02 sensor must be operating on a cold engine or the DTC light will forever come on and stay on.

Old 04-05-12, 07:48 PM
This was a new in package o2 sensor I put in there. I didn't check voltages at other than idle but the voltages alternate rich/lean just as b2s1 does and just as the old sensor did.
The sensor is a Denso direct fit. I will try and connect my computer tomorrow and figure out how to use the freeze frame data part to see if that will help.

Last edited by duigoose; 04-05-12 at 08:57 PM. Reason: add info