engine hesitates.

Old 03-30-12, 08:36 AM
engine hesitates.

I have a 2004 chevy Malibu 2.2 EchoTec engine. It started to hesitate and died on me once. I took it to the shop, gave a tune up, and a diagnostic, they didn't find any error codes at all. And still is doing it. Does anybody know what could it be? It does not do it continually, every now and then. Like the day before yesterday I didn't have any problems with it, but yesterday it came back again.

Thanks J Rod

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-12, 06:06 PM
Did the tuneup include cleaning the MAF sensor? What all was done? Has all other maintenance been done?

Old 03-30-12, 09:28 PM
I also found something else that should be checked out that is specific to your make and model, and could be what is behind your problem and probably wouldn't throw a DTC. Hope this helps.

Models: 2004-05 Chevrolet Malibu with 2.2L engine (VIN F -- RPO L61), built prior to VIN breakpoint 5F132617

Condition
Some customers may comment on the engine having a severe hesitation or a drop in RPM during parking lot maneuvers or during a deceleration. In a few instances, customers may comment on occasionally experiencing a stall at idle when the engine is fully warmed.

Cause
The engine cooling fan may be inducing a voltage spike that affects the ignition system.

Correction
Replacement of the crankshaft position sensor has not been shown to be an effective repair for this condition.

Install a diode protected jumper harness (P/N 15242641) into the cooling fan circuit using the following instructions.
1. Unplug the right fan plug and open the clip holding conduit at the fan.

2. Remove the clip from the jumper harness.

3. Connect the jumper harness to the fan connection.

4. Connect the harness connector to the jumper harness.

5. Place the jumper in the existing clip and close the clip.

6. Without straining the wiring, gently gather the excess wiring harness and attach it to the fan motor support below the connector with an appropriate wire tie. Trim off any excess wire tie. The wiring should not be able to become entangled in the accessory drive.

Old 04-04-12, 05:37 PM
Thank you for your responses. No I didn't change the MAF sensor, that makes sense. I am checkin about the cooling fan also.

Great suggestions.

Old 04-12-12, 08:58 AM
The problem was the ignition coil. I changed it and everything is fine now.
Thanks for your help