2001 Ford Taurus DOHC Cylinder 1 Repetitive Misfire Code

Old 02-16-11, 11:35 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Post 2001 Ford Taurus DOHC Cylinder 1 Repetitive Misfire Code

I have a 2001 Ford Taurus Wagon with the DOHC engine that has had a problem over that last severl weeks with a cylinder 1 misfire code. I had a cylinder 3 code more than a year ago that was corrected by changing the plug I actually changed all of them at the time). I now have the #1 code. I changed all the plugs again (even though I only had done about 16000 miles) and cleared the code. It only took about 20 miniutes for the code to come back. I changed all of the wires with still no correction of the problem. I am looking for advise or suggestions from here. I have not changed the coil pack which would seem to be the next logical step but am also wondering a bout a faulty injector as well.. Any help would be great

Old 02-16-11, 03:41 PM
W
I'd run with the coil pack..........Injector faults usually trigger a different set of codes

Old 02-16-11, 03:58 PM
Received 62 Upvotes on 53 Posts
switch coil pack around if possible and see if code follows.

Old 02-16-11, 05:41 PM
N
Thanks for the input..... It is also the easier one of the two to replace

Old 02-16-11, 07:01 PM
Received 62 Upvotes on 53 Posts
sounds like you have a 4-banger? 2 coil packs, 4 cylinders? well, they are not that expensive to replace, it's just pity should you do it, and it does not fix the problem. hence trying to switch them.

but hey, here's an idea for you. GM had issues with coil packs ground surface being oxidized, coil pack loses ground, and starts misfiring. fix was awfully simple - remove coil pack, and clean base plate/mating surface on the pack. allegedly, saved folks tons of $$ on useless replacements.

you digging what i'm rapping you? sometimes a bit of electronic cleaner, combined with a dab of dielectric grease, can go long ways....

just out of curiosity.. my 99 Ranger had 4 cylinders and EIGHT plugs plus FOUR coilpacks. how about that! and you had to remove intake manifold to replace 2 spark plugs out of four. still had NO power. was a good car otherwise. SUPER RELIABLE.

Old 02-17-11, 04:23 AM
N
Thie is a DOHC 3.0 6 cyl. I will try cleaning the coil plate before I use the part. Thanks. The Taurus with DOHC you have to remove the upper intake to get at plugs 1 2 and 3... so I figure I will check the injector while I have it off anyway

Thanks again

Old 04-11-12, 08:26 AM
Z
i have the same car, and i have a PO304 code

i changed all wires all 6 spark plugs, also the EGR and PCV valve ,and just when the car is worm after the first ride on the morning i have at low idle a misfire on the 4th cilinder, just on low idle. i have changed all 6 injectors, and nothing hapend it's the same, at cold engine evrything is OK i can drive 100 miles and it's ok, but after stoping and shut down engin it come back at the scond starting engine, did somone have a idea for me ? thanks zeev

Old 04-12-12, 05:37 PM
M
Just a thought, had similar problem but with Dodge. Try to pay attention to how much fuel in tank and outside temperature when this occurs. Mine would run fine when cool out, or first thing in the morning after fuel,tank & pump had time to cool well overnight. If cloudy cool day, tank over 1/2 full it ran fine all the way to work and back. (approx. 40 miles each way) Sunny, hot day, it would slowly start to bog down, then quit. Sit 20-30 min, and it would start and go a few more miles. Another cool day, ran fine. Basically what was happening is when conditions were cool in tank, fuel pump would supply proper pressure, but as soon as it got hot either from driving, or hot weather, low level in tank, pump would lose pressure. Luckily I had a fuel pressure gauge to carry with me. Cool in morning, 50 psi, later in day after sitting in hot sun, drove 10 miles, it started to die, tested it and pressure dropped off to 2 psi. Sat in shade for 20 min. pressure back up enough to go some more. Changed pump, trouble over. The main reason I am telling you this is obvious, have fuel pressure tested when (if possible) it starts to act up. Low fuel pressure will also cause multiple misfires such as one cylinder this time, another the next time, or 1 or more misfires at same time.

Old 04-12-12, 05:44 PM
M
Check gas cap for excess vacuum when you stop and come back out to start as well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: