Repair an automatic window

Old 04-02-12, 10:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Repair an automatic window

I have a 2004 GMC Envoy XUV with 120,000 miles and the power window in the middle divider decided to quit going up and down. This just happened. I was rolling the window up and there was a loud "pop" and the window stopped at about 1/2 way up. I then rolled it down and it did go down into the divider. Now, you can hear the power mechanism apparently running, but the window will not come up. My guess is that the window jumped out of its support holder for some reason. The sound did not sound like glass breaking when it popped. Since the divider folds down flat, I could lay it down to work in it if the access is on the side facing the back of the car. Can you advise me how to fix this, or is it something that really needs to be done by the dealer?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-12, 10:56 AM
Look at the link to see what the thing looks like. It is possible one of those cables popped. It would be up to you if it is repairable or needs replaced. Shop around as prices vary quite a bit for this item.
Here is the link...Dorman 741-072, 2004-2005 GMC Envoy XUV Midgate Window Regulator with Motor

Old 05-03-12, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the information. I am finally getting the opportunity to work on this problem. Now, can you tell me how to get into the mid-gate? I see some screws on the sides of the mid-gate, but nothing else. I appreciate any suggestions.

Old 05-03-12, 07:34 PM
Like some other GM regulator systems, yours may have plastic clips that sit under the glass and are bolted to both sides of the regulator. I know this method was used with some of their cars like the Grand Am and at some point they all failed. Over time, these can break off, on one side which can then cause the other side to break. Not all GM are the same as this, but looking at the photo of the regulator it looks like yours might be. Replacements are available if this is how your window glass is attached to the regulator, and the cause as opposed to the regulator cable system itself breaking. Not sure how to gain access, but there must be a way to get to an access panel, or to remove one side of the panel. Is there a way to remove it as a complete assembled unit? If so that maybe needed to take it further apart assuming it was installed after being assembled off the assembly line which I am guessing it was.