1999 Dodge Grand Caravan - EGR - How to get it out - Help Wanted

Old 04-10-12, 01:51 AM
1999 Dodge Grand Caravan - EGR - How to get it out - Help Wanted

There are loads of instructions on how to remove and clean the EGR valve assuming that the engine has already been stripped down to give unrestricted access.
My engine is intact and it appears that the brake system master cylinder is in the way. I sure would like to avoid removing it. Is that possible?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-12, 04:29 AM
Group Moderator
I just did a quick check in the repair guide section at auotozone.com and the procedure makes no mention of any obstructions that have to be removed for access. Will have to wait and see if one of the MOPAR experts can shed some light.

Old 04-13-12, 04:30 PM
The egr valve can be done with 1/4 swivel socket and extension as a mopar tech there is no need to remove and clean why are you wanting to remove it

Old 04-16-12, 09:47 PM
Check Engine light on. Diagnostic Shows it to be because of ERG valve. Sorry about the delayed response. I forgot to subscribe to thread and was not notified of responses.

RESPONSE TO: "The egr valve can be done with 1/4 swivel socket and extension as a mopar tech there is no need to remove and clean why are you wanting to remove it." I ALSO DO NOT COMPREHEND "as a mopar tech there is no need to remove and clean"

Old 04-17-12, 03:46 PM
EGR VALVE SERVICE - 3.3/3.8L ENGINES
The EGR valve and Electrical EGR Transducer are serviced as an assembly.

REMOVAL
1.Disconnect vacuum tube from electric EGR transducer. Inspect vacuum tube for damage EGR System - 3.3/3.8L Engines
2.Remove electrical connector from solenoid.
3.Remove EGR valve bolts from intake manifold.
4.Open EGR transducer clip and remove electric EGR transducer.
5.Remove EGR valve from intake manifold.
6.Clean gasket surface and discard old gasket. Check for any signs of leakage or cracked surfaces. Repair or replace as necessary
INSTALLATION
1.Assemble EGR valve with new gasket onto the intake manifold.
2.Install mounting bolts. Tighten bolts to 22 Nm (200 in. lbs.) torque.
3.Install electric EGR transducer in clip with orientation tab in slot and snap closed.
4.Reconnect vacuum hose and electrical connector to electrical EGR transducer.
EGR GAS FLOW TEST
Use the following test procedure to determine if exhaust gas is flowing through the EGR valve. It can also be used to determine if the EGR tube is plugged, or the system passages in the intake or exhaust manifolds are plugged.

This is not to be used as a complete test of the EGR system.

The engine must be started, running and warmed to operating temperature for this test.

1.All engines are equipped with two fittings located on the EGR valve Typical EGR Valve The upper fitting (located on the vacuum motor) supplies engine vacuum to a diaphragm within the EGR valve for valve operation. The lower fitting (located on the base of the EGR valve) is used to supply exhaust back-pressure to the EGR valve control
2.Disconnect the rubber hose at the vacuum motor fitting Typical EGR Valve on the top of the EGR valve vacuum motor.
3.Connect a hand-held vacuum pump to this fitting.
4.Start the engine.
5.Slowly apply 5 inches of vacuum to the fitting on the EGR valve motor.
6.While applying vacuum, a minimum of 3 inches of vacuum, and with the engine running at idle speed, the idle speed should drop or the engine may even stall, if the vacuum is applied quickly. This is indicating that exhaust gas is flowing through the EGR tube between the intake and exhaust manifolds.
7.If the engine speed did not change, the EGR valve may be defective, or EGR tube may be plugged with carbon, or the passages in the intake and exhaust manifolds may be plugged with carbon.
a.Remove EGR valve from engine. Refer to EGR Valve Removal in this group.
b.Apply vacuum to the vacuum motor fitting and observe the stem on the EGR valve. If the stem is moving, it can be assumed that the EGR valve is functioning correctly. The problem is in either a plugged EGR tube or plugged passages at the intake or exhaust manifolds, refer to step (c) If the stem will not move, replace the EGR valve. Note: The EGR valve, valve control and attaching hoses are serviced as one unit. Refer to EGR Valve Removal/Installation in this group.
c.Remove the EGR tube between the intake and exhaust manifolds. Check and clean the EGR tube and its related openings on the manifolds. Refer to EGR Tube in this group for procedures.
8.Do not attempt to clean the EGR valve. If the valve shows evidence of heavy carbon build-up near the base, replace it.
this is removal and diag.for egr valve without a scan tool what size motor to you have and do you know what code you have hope this will help

Old 04-18-12, 01:09 AM
Reply to "what size motor to you have and do you know what code you have"

If I recall correctly the engine is a 3.3L.
Do not recall code: will need to borrow neighbor's scan tool. Looked it up on internet and then found How to Clean EGR Valves | eHow.com.

Old 04-18-12, 03:51 PM
If you can get me the code I can send you more information.is your check engine light still on and are you having any performance problems.

Old 04-19-12, 12:08 AM
Check Engine light is still on. Will get code this afternoon. Have to borrow code reader from neighbor. Lots of performance problems unrelated to driving.
1. Airbag light on.
2. Radio and clock not working.
3. New battery discharging slowly - i.e. like slow tire leak - Grand Caravan will start in morning if a do not leave turn signal on or door ajar and make sure to turn key until final click. Once jump started, Grand Caravan will start right up after being driven.
4. I lied - Speedometer/Odometer sometimes does not work during first drive of the day. By second drive of the day, it is working. I guess that should be called related to driving.
5. No rear seating - Son in law, also Toyota mechanic, neglected to recover them from garage when my daughter moved out. Landlord "disposed" of them. He was also supposed to have gotten Grand Caravan ready for inspection but neglected to change out EGR valve when he replaced brake system master cylinder. He claimed that he did not know vehicle and thought ERG valve was "behind" engine. He said that local mechanic would do it for ~ $180. He had Newburgh Monroe replace brake pads and bleed brakes - claiming they warrenteed brakes forever - but they left the fluid container filled to the cap and did not sign warrentee. I called and was told to bring Grand Caravan back in - would you? My attitude is that - after a foul-up so blatant - I would not give them a second chance.

Old 04-20-12, 03:40 AM
There turned out to be 4 codes:
P0403 - EGR Flow Circuit Malfunction;
P0134 - O2 Sensor CKT. No Activity (Bank 1 - Sensor 1);
P0132 - O2 Sensor CKT. High Volts (Bank 1 - Sensor 1); and,
P0442 - Emissions Control System Leak (Small)

We jacked up the passenger side and my neighbor crawled under for a look-see. He informed me that there is a small leak along the seem of the first (the smaller) muffler in series of two. He said that the internals are probably rotted out but I can patch it to get through inspection with some sort of JB putty product. I can then start saving up for a muffler replacement job.

I then cleared the codes. Will see if all return after driving today. The EGR code certainly will.

Old 04-20-12, 04:21 PM
p0403 is a egr solenoid circuit code you will see vacumn line from egr going to this solenid make sure soleniod is plugged in also check vacumn line from intake to solenoid must have vacumn to work. as for airbag light most of the time is clockspring and that is a recall b-24 with a lifetime warranty and will be no cost to you at local dealer

Old 04-20-12, 05:50 PM
My neighbor puttied my muffler today. He found the hole to be about 1/4" wide and 3" long. I do not think that he erarsed the codes. Will follow up on your recommendations after erasing codes if P0403 reappears.

Old 04-21-12, 01:10 PM
My neighbor got the old ERG out but at the rear end of the solenoid there is a small tube and we cannot find what it connected to.

Old 04-22-12, 02:00 AM
After much searching my neighbor found that one of the 3 tiny tubes that formed a T was not connected. This was then connected to the small tube in my previous message and the van was run with the Service Engine Soon remaining off for 3 loops around the block before relighting. I had only the P0134 for the "Upstream HO2S (Heated Oxygen Sensor) stays at center". Which means that neither a rich or lean condition is being detected by the upstream HO2S. In essence the HO2S crapped out. Dodge Caravan Code P0134
My neighbor says he can get to the sensor but cannot locate its connector.
As to the seat belt light - my son-in-law had gotten into as accident that banged in the driver side fender at the wheel and caused the frame where the front strut connects to have cracked its paint and rusted (the van is still driveable). If the accident did not cause the steering wheel airbag to discharge, the recall warrentee should hold. No???

Old 04-22-12, 02:04 AM
Correction on the hole in the muffler. The seam was open for the entire length of the muffler. After being puttied, the muffler no longer is making noise on acceleration. It will be replaced once the van has passed inspection.

Old 04-22-12, 04:37 AM
it doesnt matter about frt end damage your recall number is d-17 sorry bout mistake. lifetime warranty if you can send me your vin number i can check to see if your vechile is under this recall

Old 04-22-12, 04:44 AM
the code for your heated o2 sensor the o2 sensor has a heating element to heat the o2 faster on cold starts and is shorted internally must be replaced connector should be right rear valve cover just follow wire from o2 sensor

Old 04-22-12, 10:49 PM
vin is 1B4GP44R0XB86952.
As to "the code for your heated o2 sensor the o2 sensor has a heating element to heat the o2 faster on cold starts and is shorted internally must be replaced connector should be right rear valve cover just follow wire from o2 sensor" - If I understand correctly, the right rear valve cover in under what my neighbor calls a "plenum?" To get to it requires the dexterity of an octopus or drop the engine or remove a lot of obstructions. It has me longing for the days when I had only to work on a 1970 Ford Maverick and everything was in plain sight. I wonder if I could find a cheap Model T that still runs.

Old 04-23-12, 12:04 PM
Started out the day with a short drive. Within less than a mile I hear the van sound like it misfired twice and felt as if the engine went rough. I checked my instrument panel and the Service Engine Soon light was off. Van has been running fine since and only the Air Bag light remains.
When I start the van it confirms that the bulb for the Service Engine Soon light still works. Looks like I lucked out.
Fingers and toes crossed until I can get it inspected.

Old 04-23-12, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator
It was probably using the old data when you had the issue. Did you clear the computer by removing battery leads or whatever is right for you vehicle? If not...it took a while for the comp to get all the new data and make it's adjustments.

Old 04-23-12, 12:14 PM
It is what my neighbor said might happen. I am surprized that erasing codes or disconnecting battery was not needed.

Old 04-23-12, 03:04 PM
Glad to hear it's running good.you vin number should have 17 digits missing one send me again and I will run your vin for you

Old 04-26-12, 06:17 AM
vin is 1B4GP44R0XB869512
Sorry about the delay.

Old 04-26-12, 03:31 PM
Ran your vin recall d17 is lifetime warranty on clock spring it was done once on November 18 2004 and does apply to your car if it is the clockspring that is causing your airbag light to be on will be replaced at no charge to check will need to use scan tool and go into airbag system

Old 04-26-12, 03:45 PM
Can this be done with same scan tool used to check "Service Engine Soon" codes?

Old 04-26-12, 03:55 PM
Unless it can access to other systems besides engine it won't call your local dealer and ask what they will charge at my dealer we wouldn't charge to check this problem is very common

Old 04-26-12, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator
Not the typical consumer grade units...no. The fancier (more expensive) ones...maybe.

I always thought trans and brake scanners were specialized items...could be wrong.