Bumper Repair

Old 04-18-12, 05:02 PM
Bumper Repair

Have an older transportation-only car that has a cracked bumper, on the top surface....the rubbery plastic type bumper. Has anyone ever tried repairing one of those...? Maybe with some marine fiberglass sheets and repair paste from behind...? Just to make it look nicer...? I'm gonna try it...thought I'd get some suggestions from anyone who has gone before.....anyone...?
Thanks. Figgs.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-12, 05:38 PM
Group Moderator
Make/model/year? You might be surprised how cheap an aftermarket bumper cover costs.

Old 04-19-12, 05:29 AM
hey Tow-Guy...
Thanx for the reply. It's a 2000 Century; It's a small area of cracking, maybe 6inches by 4 inches...may've been rear-ended(?). The cracks can still be brought together smoothly....no warpage yet. I guess I could always buy a new cover if my repair looks like crap.....LOL. Will check into the prices. I wonder if any junk yards may have a decent used one...?
Thanx again.

Old 04-19-12, 09:20 AM
Group Moderator
Looks like you might be stuck repairing. I did a browse of a number of on-line body parts places and NONE of them list the rear cover, although they have fronts for as low as $50 or so. Weird, you must have the only Century that ever damaged a rear bumper cover.

I'll defer on the repair to someone more knowledgable in plastic/fiberglas work.

Old 04-19-12, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator
They make several different types of repair kits...depending on the cover material. Just do a search for bumper cover repair kits. You'll find everything from heat welding to flexible epoxy.

Old 04-19-12, 02:06 PM
Appreciate all the info "Guys" (Gun and Tow). Will search for the proper "glue" to attempt a repair.
Thanx again.

Old 04-19-12, 02:36 PM
Hubby has been in the auto repair business for over 30 years so I asked him if he could offer some advice.

There are products especially made for this type of repair. One is from Valvoline called Plyogrip another from SEM products called Mulit-plastic Repair material. (Google searching will direct you to their websites which will give you more info and even videos on how-to-do).

Good luck with your project!

Old 04-22-12, 02:39 PM
Yeah, I was next to saying gluegun, with plastic rods, but TG already mentioned it. You can do plastic welding gun, or plastic glue gun, just deepen/widen crack, make like a trench in it, and fill with plastic. let it harden, shave down, and paint over. It all depends on damage extant though.