1990 Honda Accord Brake Problem

Old 04-20-12, 10:12 AM
1990 Honda Accord Brake Problem

1990 Honda Accord, 4 Doors, AT, LX, 226,291 miles. Recently I found a problem when applying brake. It works normal if I suddenly brake to stop car. However, if I drive toward a stop traffic and apply brake slowly, car moves in decrease speed and at the same time brake padel also move about 90% toward the floor. At this moment, car doesn't seem to reach complete stop and I have to release brake padel and brake it again to stop car. Can anyone tell me what the problem is and where should I look for to repair it? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-12, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator
Sounds similar to the issues I had with my SUV. Had to replace the master cylinder. That was my problem...yours could be different.

One time I had sort of a soft pedal and it turned out all it was was that the rear drum brakes needed to be adjusted.

Old 04-20-12, 12:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Have you checked the brake fluid level? looked for leaks any where in the system? Does the pedal get better if you pump the brakes?

Old 04-20-12, 09:17 PM
Brake fluid level is full and no leaks in the system. The pedal gets better if I pump the brake.

Old 04-21-12, 04:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That indicates you need to bleed the brake system.

Old 04-21-12, 11:04 AM
If you haven't done any brake work on it recently and are not losing fluid then it sounds like your master cylinder needs replacing. Pumping or even letting up and hitting brakes fast, you get brakes, but sitting or applying gradual pressure and pedal fading is a bad master cylinder.

Old 04-22-12, 02:42 PM
no need to replace master. dismount it, take apart, and replace piston seals. few bucks worth repair.
then again, AM masters are so inexpensive...

Old 04-24-12, 10:54 AM
Are piston seals available from auto parts stores like O'Reilly, Autozone, or online auto parts stores?

Old 04-24-12, 11:04 AM
last time we did it, they were. and lasted about another year and half or so. they finally swapped out master.
I just swapped master on son's Eclipse, and it was $27 with tax. 1st one got leak right away, 2nd one still holds.
what I'm saying, for amount of work to be done, it might as well be worth replacing master.

Old 04-24-12, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the tips, do I have to bleed all four wheels or just master cylinder?

Old 05-13-12, 02:42 PM
You've probably resolved this by now but, in case you have not, I'll post my comment. I have a 91 Honda Accord and had the same problem. It would not happen in cold weather but would occur even in mild temperatures, such as 50 degrees F. Driving that way is obviously dangerous.

I replaced the master cylinder (mc). I bought the mc at the local Advance Auto Parts store. The normal retail price was $46.69 but I got a 20% by taking advantage of an online offer on their website and ordering online. So, the price was $37.35, plus tax. This was a new mc and came with the reservoir already mounted on it. The store sells re-manufactured mc at a lower cost but the reservoir is not already attached to it.

I installed the mc myself. This was my first time doing this. I followed procedure for bench-bleeding the mc as best as I could. Then, I took the car to a local service shop to have them bleed all brake lines; this was long overdue anyway. Now, my brakes work fine; no more fading pedal.