Car AC Condenser Hole

Old 04-23-12, 07:27 AM
Car AC Condenser Hole

Has anyone had experience with getting a hole in your car AC condenser. I have a 2011 Buick Regal and they are telling me I have a hole in the condenser and it is not covered under warranty. Cost of repair $700.00. The car is not even a year old.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-12, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator
Was it purchased new? I mean if it's over the mileage warranty by any large amount (say 10K)...then maybe they could say it's not covered. If its still in the warranty period...I don't know how they could deny it if you purchased it new from the dealer.

Even if it's slightly out of warranty...you can contact the regional rep (should be listed in your warranty manual) and ask for a review.

Oh...was this caused by physical damage? Like someone stabbed it with a screwdriver?

Also....do you mean the evaporator coil in the dash?

Old 04-23-12, 08:16 AM
Car in under the 3 year 36,000 warranty. I might have said that wrong it is the compressor maybe. A part by the radiator that cools the air for the ac. Said has hole they have no idea how it got there could be a something that shot up from the road but no one is sure. They said if it is a hole it is no covered under the warranty. Car purchased new last August 2011 from dealer.

Old 04-23-12, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator
Ok....thats what I thought you meant after I thought about it. Unfortunately...I doubt you will get any adjustment from the dealer or factory.

That like getting in a car wreck and asking for a repair. Something may have indeed hit it and damaged it....but they should be able to show that to you since it would be right in the exposed area behind the grill. If it's anywhere else, it would more likely be a manufacturers flaw.

You might want to have an independent A/C shop give a second opinion and price.

Old 04-23-12, 10:23 AM
How likely is it really that something from the road would fly up and put a hole in that?

Old 04-23-12, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator
Well...I wouldn't say it was likely...but it can happen. I was once driving home from work and saw the car in front of me have it's gas tank slashed open by a piece of sheetmetal (maybe 4" x 20") that was kicked up by the vehicle in front of it.

The slash was probably a foot long....what are the odds? He dumped 1/2 tank of gas within about a mile.

Like I said...you need to look at where they said the hole is.

Hey, it's possible your coil caught a stray bullet...who knows. Normally the item would be stuck in the coils I would think.

Old 04-23-12, 11:02 AM
When we go back the dealership tonight my husband is going to ask them to show him the hole and where it is. I just find it so odd you would think I would have heard something like that hit. I just am not so trusting in the dealerhsip. The last time I got an oil change they did not put the dipstick in all the way and oil shot all over my engine. I had no idea until I went and filled up my windshield washer fluid. Just odd.

Old 04-23-12, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator
Well...it's all the way at the front of the car...and that car is probably well insulated against outside noise. My wife had both fog lamps on her 12 y/o SUV broken by stones or whatever and she didn't know until I saw it.

Old 04-24-12, 05:00 AM
Group Moderator
Agree with Vic. And I'm interested to hear where exactly the damage is, too; as noted it makes a HUGE difference as to whether it could have come from flying debris or a manufacturing defect.

Old 04-24-12, 05:16 AM
Group Moderator
Note on repair.

I priced a replacement condensor at about $200 [AC/Delco]. I can't imagine it would require $500 for labor/refrigerant/shop supplies/free coffee in the waiting room; I would find a good independent ac shop (or general repair garage that does ac work) and probably save at least a couple hundred bucks.

Old 04-24-12, 12:59 PM
I know my advice doesn't help you now. But I want to point out to others that car has an open grille design. It's very open near the bottom, where road debris can come up and puncture the condenser. I've always added 1/4" hardware cloth behind the grille at that location for cars with an open grille, to keep debris from taking out a condenser.

Old 04-24-12, 02:26 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks for that tidbit, Kestas; I was trying to remember how open the front of that car is, but that would make sense. A lot of cars have very little chance of debris damage because of the bumper/grill design; guess this isn't one of them.

Old 07-12-12, 02:03 PM
Speaking of a hole in a condenser, I have that problem with my 95 Silverado. I know NOTHING about fixing cars. Is there a quick fix that would get me thru the next 2 months of summer? Like the old pepper (or egg) in the fluid that I've heard works for radiator leaks ? when you get done laughing I would appreciate a response. Thanks...I'm not sure I've posted this in the right place...