2010 Honda Accord battery keeps dying

Old 04-24-12, 09:20 PM
2010 Honda Accord battery keeps dying

The battery on our 2010 Honda Accord keeps dying. If we don't drive it for several days and go out to start it, the ignition just "clicks". Engine does not turn over.

The service guy at Honda told us this is "normal" for this car...that there are so many things, computer related, etc., that drain the battery if the car sits more than a few days. He said he has a lot of owners who, for instance, park their car at an airport garage and when they return home several days later, the battery is dead.

I think this is screwy. Any advice as to what is wrong and what can be done?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-12, 05:57 AM
Group Moderator
I don't try to make my living as a mechanic [would rather tow them TO a mechanic and let THEM have the headaches ], but that sounds like a lot of hooey to me. If that was true, I would do a LOT more jump starts than I currently do. With the huge senior population down here, it's very common for a car to be driven only a couple of times a week, sometimes less [like six months in the case of snowbirds], and the vast majority of jump starts are for simply old, used-up battery life. Also consider your nearest international airport. If this mechanic's theory was true, a towing company would have to station someone at the long term parking garage 24/7 to jump start people who went away for as much as a long weekend, never mind a week's vacation. I would find a good independent garage to diagnose it for you, but for starts, you might go to one of your local parts stores that can do battery testing and have them run a full test on the battery. This involves removing the battery and putting it on a computerized test bench. Either you have a weak battery, regardless of its age, or you have a drain somewhere beyond simple low-draw stuff.

Old 04-25-12, 06:58 PM
Not sure how long 'several days' is but normally even with all the computer and security requirements it is normal to be able to start after sitting at least one month or more up to even 6 weeks. After that with new cars you can expect dead battery problems from my experience. If you are not getting that, it is as the_tow_guy says, either a bad battery or some other parasitic drain. On a fairly new Honda, an electrical drain seems unlikely, though of course it is possible.

Old 04-25-12, 09:10 PM
well, do a simple test.
loosen negative terminal on battery pole, and simply remove it when done driving. put back on before driving. if this keeps battery from dying - you got drain somewhere.
what Honda guy told you puts shame on all of them . that's a bunch of bs.

Old 04-25-12, 10:15 PM
As a precaution before trying ukrbyk's suggestion, be sure you have the 5 digit code to reactivate the radio because it won't work when you hook the battery back up. It should be with the owner's manual, or possibly written on a sticker in the glove box. Good luck

Old 04-26-12, 05:38 AM
Group Moderator
Good suggestion from UK (and reminder from CNTRTOP). I should have added that to my post, it's the basic battery drain test going back decades.

Old 04-26-12, 12:11 PM
TEAMWORK!!!

My CR-V had that sticker on the outside outer glove compartment wall. Kinda deep into compartment.