No A/C 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe

Old 05-05-12, 04:42 AM
No A/C 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe

Hi, Our 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe is blowing warm air. Thought it might need refrigerant so I got a can. It won't take it in and I do have it on the low side. I checked the 2 ac fuses and they are both good. The AC diode also checks good. When I turn the AC on, I can't really tell if the compressor is kicking in or not.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-12, 06:23 AM
Group Moderator
First off, I wouldn't try servicing it without gauges. Having said that, before you go any further, you really need to determine for sure if the compressor is engaging or not. Easiest to do with a helper; have the helper switch the ac off and on while you both listen and look at the compressor. Unless the compressor is in a really difficult location on a Santa Fe, you should be able to both hear the clutch engage and see it actuate. You can also check by feeling the two ac hoses; one should be hot and the other cold when the compressor is running.

Old 05-05-12, 08:27 AM
if compressor does not kick in, freon will not go into the system. period.

BEWARE! If you force freon in, and overload the system, a/c will stop working.

BEWARE! do not put in freon ONLY. you must put in freon-oil mix, or you will seize compressor.

Now that I', done scaring you... Your car is modern enough to probably have high pressure a/c system, and that takes freon by weight. You have to know exactly how much to put in, or - read above.

TG is right - firstly, you need to determine if compressor kicks in. If it does not, start with climate controls. Nowadays, they came up with all kinds of safety features that rely on proper temperatures and air flow direction positions. Any one of those mismatched, and a/c will be prevented from turning on.

If you have ALL of those set right - then problem is anywhere between your climate control unit through a/c pressure switch.

How to Fix Your Car's Air Conditioner: 7 steps (with pictures)
Troubleshoot Automotive Air Conditioning Problems
How to Fix Car Air Conditioning Video

Old 05-06-12, 05:51 PM
Hello again. I checked and the compressor is kicking on. Still no AC. I didn't add any R134 as per your advice. I did however put it on the system because I got the can with the gauge on it. It says that it's good. I don't know were else too look except in the yellow pages to find a place to take it.
Thanks for your help.
Joe

Old 05-07-12, 07:01 AM
Group Moderator
When you touch the hoses is one cold and the other one hot? I'm thinking you have a blend door failure maybe.

Old 05-07-12, 09:01 AM
From what I can see, there's no bends or kinks in the hoses. The both feel the same temp. though. Maybe the compressor is shot?
joe

Old 05-07-12, 04:43 PM
you should have mentioned what temperature are the pipes. you should have 2 aluminum shiny pipes coming out of the firewall. then more in the engine compartment, hoses attached to compressor.
there should be MAJOR difference between the 2 pipes temperatures. one should be ice cold, and one lukewarm.
if they are both same lukewarm temp, your freon is not circulating through the system.
also, keep in mind, if the compressor pulley spins, it means nothing. it's the center hub of it that has to kick in/turn off.
basically, I am assuming that you are so low on freon that a/c simply does not cool anymore yet, pressure is just enough to trip pressure switch to turn compressor on.
from personal experiences, freon can be very hard to push into the system even with well functioning compressor. takes major press down on low line valve to make sure that freon goes IN, not around the nozzle.
that can that you have - does it say R134 ONLY, or it says freon/oil mix? if it's a mix, it's ok to put in.
also, you may simply have clogged system. it happens. this will be beyond you to repair. it has to be purgedl cleanes, and re-loaded.

Old 05-08-12, 12:08 PM
I'm not saying to do this but I had a car where the compressor wouldn't kick on. The freon was low so I had to 'hot-wire' the compressor kind of bypassing the low pressure switch. It won't kick on if it doesn't have pressure and you can't add freon (r134) until you have pressure. It's a catch 22.