72 Mustang Starter solenoid sticking

Old 05-08-12, 11:46 AM
72 Mustang Starter solenoid sticking

I have this 72 Mustang 351C, Auto, that I have owned for the past 38 years with no starting issues until lately. I went to start it and the solenoid stuck thus keeping the starter engaged so after that fiasco, I replaced the solenoid and it went back to working properly. The car is always garage kept and I went to move it out today and the same issue, solenoid stuck and starter constantly engaged until I removed battery cable. I then touched the cable back to battery and it was still stuck "engaged" so again a rap on solenoid with a small hammer and it released. I then used a remote starter button @ the solenoid and it worked properly. Now I am trying to figure what the heck is causing this issue, my thoughts are maybe I am getting some feedback from the ignition switch? or maybe low cranking voltage since it takes some cranking to get it started after setting for a couple of months. Anyone ever come across this issue? Any thoughts on the cause? I will be changing the solenoid with another new one that I have but I am still a little gun shy about starting this thing! Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-12, 01:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've always just cleaned all the connections and replaced the solenoid. While I've had this issue several times over the years, I don't remember it ever coming back once the solenoid was replaced. It does seem like it happens more on the vehicles that don't get run as often.

Old 05-08-12, 02:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Starter could be going bad drawing more amps and causing points to stick.

Old 05-08-12, 05:44 PM
1. ok, it's quite old starter. slight off kilter in solenoid housing may cause it go jammed.
2. is it OE< solenoid or aftermarket one? if AM, then it's very likely refurbished. so....
3. ignition key lock. may be short circuiting.

Old 05-09-12, 05:59 AM
If you rapped the solenoid with a hammer and the problem went away, I'd say you already narrowed down the problem to the solenoid. Is this solenoid the one attached to the starter, or the starter relay?

Old 05-09-12, 01:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
... weren't the older Ford solenoids always on the fire or fender wall?

Search this Thread