1996 Plymouth Voyager Base 2.4L

Old 05-12-12, 03:55 PM
Angry 1996 Plymouth Voyager Base 2.4L

I have changed plugs, wires and coil pack and also put on a new cat. It run fine when is cold and as soon as it warms up or at the highest tempature, it spits and sputters and has resistance at during driving and idles roughly. ran fine last year. it keeps giving these codes 124 (tps), 355 misfire. I unplugged both o2 sensors and it seemed like it ran better but once it got hot, it spit and sputtered and had resistance. can somebody help and put me in the right direction?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-12, 04:47 AM
Group Moderator
Well, TPS is throttle position sensor and I assume the 355 code is a simple general code for any misfire. It's possible the computer is getting erroneous info from the TPS and scheduling too much or too little fuel. That could cause both the rough idle and misfire. I just fixed a frustrating rough/low idle issue on the wrecker (without misfire) that ended up being two somewhat related items; bad EGR valve - wasn't closing fully and didn't throw any codes - and a faulty idle air control that apparently was sending bad info to computer making it run rich at idle - no codes on it either.

Old 05-13-12, 02:48 PM
yesterday i notice my new cat was glowing red, so today i took the o2 sensor out of the pipe and let it run, this time the cat didn't glow but it spit and sputter, idle up and back down, so i shut my van off. i was told that the coolant temp sensor can cause the cat to act up. it only does it when it gets hot, runs fine till that point.

Old 05-14-12, 04:06 PM
You Have a fuel mixture problem when engine is cold the computer is at fixed values when goes into closed loop it uses all sensors to try and give you the proper fuel mixture your tps is one of those sensors it might be reading wide open throttle and dumping fuel fix the tps problem first

Old 05-15-12, 12:23 PM
according to the auto part stores and haynes manual my 1996 Plymouth Voyager does not have an EGR of any sort. I have replace the tps and still did the same thing, someone told me to change the coolant temp sensor because it may not be sending info to the cat.

Old 05-15-12, 03:31 PM
yes your cooltant sensor is one of the sensors that your computer uses for proper fuel mixture its uses data from tps, map,cooltant and o2 sensors.instead of throwing parts at your promblem you need to put a scanner on it to see what all these sensors are reading there are numerous thinks that can cause this promblem. sorry cant be more help but will have to know what the computer is reading.check vacumn hose to map sensor or any other vacumn leaks this will cause improper fuel mixture.does your check engine light remain on.no your engine doesnt have a egr valve

Old 10-06-13, 08:19 PM
95 voyager idle problem

I had the opposite problem where it misfired when cold or ac was turned on, the shop replaced the coil and fixed this issue.

Search this Thread