Why new rear brakes so soon?

Old 05-18-12, 02:50 AM
Why new rear brakes so soon?

I have a 2008 Ford Taurus with only 43,000 miles. I had it into the dealer getting an oil change, rotation, etc. and they told me I need rear brakes. The original front brakes are fine. I have been driving since 1966 and this is a first for me. First, I have never had a car that needed rear brakes in so few miles. Second, I have never had a car that needed rear brakes before front brakes.

Does anyone have any ideas what's going on? My experience years ago was always that I could get at least 2 sets of front brakes done before I needed rear brakes, in fact 100,000 miles was not unusual for rear brakes. Granted that was in the days of drum brakes... Even in recent cars I have never had to replace rear brakes first, much less at that low mileage. The dealer has no explanation and when I e-mailed Ford, they essentially said "too bad".

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-12, 04:12 AM
Group Moderator
Just curious if they took you in the shop and showed you how much material was left. Different garages have different definitions of when you "need" brakes.

Old 05-18-12, 04:51 AM
No, I didn't actually see them. I am half tempted to pull the wheels today and look at them myself and compare to the front brakes.

Even so, has anyone ever heard of rear brakes going before front brakes?? Unless there was some kind of problem of course, and I've never noticed anything that would suggest a problem.

Old 05-18-12, 05:00 AM
Group Moderator
No. Barring an issue like a sticky caliper I would expect the backs to last about 2x the front, but like you I base that on rear drums (wife's current driver is an '01 Camry - rear drums) so we'll see what the rest of the gang says who have dealt more with rear disks.

I would be curious enough to pull a wheel, too, and disks are a lot easier to check than drums since the pads are visible.

Old 05-18-12, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator
I have rear disks on my Verona (about 1/2 the size of the fronts) and they wear pretty much like drums. I decided to do the brakes on it at about 65K and the rear pads were still twice as thick as the front. I replaced them anyway, but they didn't really need it.

Here's a thought....
Are your rear disks also used for the parking brake?

Old 05-18-12, 09:07 AM
I haven't actually looked, but I assume the parking brake is on the rear wheels. But I don't think it's a parking brake hanging up. First, and I'm almost ashamed to admit it, I don't think I've ever used the parking brake! There just aren't any real hills anywhere I park, so I've never used the parking brake. I may be wrong, but I would think I would hear it if a caliper was hanging up. Finally, would that be something the dealer would check for when they check brakes on my normal periodic checks? I think I'm going to talk to the service manager before I do anything with the brakes. Besides, it's about $175 cheaper at the local Firestone store than the dealer!!

Old 05-18-12, 09:41 AM
From what seems to be reported on the internet by some others it sounds like you have more of a product problem issue than anything else. Premature rear brake replacement seems to be well documented as a product complaint for your vehicle and others similar built on the same platform. I would talk further with your Ford rep and see if they will offer any kind of 'policy' replacement as a gesture of goodwill. If you are looking to keep your vehicle around for a while you might also want to consider upgrading the pads and rotors to something with more durability than Ford provided. If not, it sounds like this will not be your only replacement scenario if you do decide to keep the vehicle for another 40K. It is not for sure a safety issue by itself, but just one involving either inadequate product durability engineering, brake material used, or both. Usually this is more of a front brake pad problem on other vehicles. Just ask any former owners of Grand Ams. Those cars rarely saw more than 20k on their front pads.