new ignition key problem

Old 05-20-12, 11:41 PM
new ignition key problem

i just changed my ignition switch and lock cylinder on a 2003 mitsubishi galant. it was very straight forward and only took about 3 hrs. feeling pretty good about it all until i tried to start the car.

this car has always cranked right up so after cranking for a few seconds i turned the key off and this car shaped light started blinking on my dash. i have never seen this light before, ever. the blinking car had a key inside it and everytime i tried to start the car it would start to crank and then this &%^&$# light would start blinking. needless to say the car wont start.

i have full electrical function, windows, lights, stereo etc. it just wont start. weel after a quick look through the owners manual it turns out that this car has a anti-theft feature that when you use an "unregistered key" to start the engine this feature halts your attempt to start.

strange that when i bought the car new back in 03 nobody said anything about this feature. and like i said i nor anyone in my family has ever seen this light before.

okay, the manual says that you can "customer program the key" but whoever wrote that must have been high. Then it says to drive my car to the dealer and they will re-programme the key. funny, the car wont start.

does anyone know what the heck is going on here? is there some way to get this thing to work? any info will be appreciated.

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-12, 02:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not sure on the 2003, but most cars during and after that time frame must be reprogrammed by the dealer. One exception I know of is Saturn. If you have an old key, you insert it, turn it on and off 3 times (I believe) remove it, put in the new key, do the same, and it will start. If that doesn't work, dealer time. Just be glad it isn't a Volvo.....key $200, reprogramming, first born child

Old 06-14-12, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator
Where did you get the lock cylinder? If you bought a OEM or high end replacement the instructions are clear for programming, plus warranty.

Often when you try to cheap it then you need to pay dealer fees for programming and such.

Do a Google search. There are some Galant forums out there.

Mike NJ

Old 06-25-12, 11:36 AM
Something you can try is to take your old key and place it right next to the new lock cylinder and then try it as that key is a rf (radio frequency) style key and you may be able to get it close enough that it will fool the immobillizer.

Old 06-25-12, 12:01 PM
Group Moderator
Some locksmiths now have the capability to do some of the chipped/programmed keys so you don't necessarily have to have it towed to the dealer if all else fails. Of course towing is always a good idea.

Old 06-25-12, 01:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yeah, you meet really interesting people having your car towed Oh, sorry TG, forgot it was you posting

Old 07-17-12, 10:46 PM
resolution

thanks for the comments.

turns out that most locksmiths can do the reprogramming at your home.

found a locksmith who came to my home and ten minutes later all was good. price $ 50.00

so, i still saved money by not going to dealer.

aloha everyone.

Old 07-18-12, 04:36 AM
Group Moderator
Thought I said that.