What would cause emmission failure

Old 05-26-12, 11:21 AM
What would cause emmission failure

I haqve a 1995 geo prizm that wont pass emmissions. I have change oxygen sesor Spark plugs and Cat convertor can any one help me figure it out

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-12, 12:07 PM
You most likely have an OBD1 system on your vehicle. Is the check engine light on? If so and there is a fault the computer has stored, when you first turn on the ignition you will see it blinking. Count the number of times it blinks and that will be the first digit of the code. It should then pause and then blink again the number of times for the second digit of the code. Example one blink followed by 4 blinks means code 14. You seem to be throwing new parts at the test failure without knowing what is really causing it. So many things could fail causing your emission test problem that checking for codes is the best way to at least understand what items maybe involved.

Old 05-26-12, 02:48 PM
you need to post your emissions results. it depends. as a quick fix, you can find out how to pay and pass, they allow this here, $250 good for 2 yrs, then figure it out. Tickets will cost you more.

Old 05-26-12, 02:51 PM
oh, and do not waste $$ on all that voodoo magic they sell in stores. does nothing and bill builds up quickly.

Old 05-26-12, 03:32 PM
Emmissions

My results numbers are 1.11 hc applicable standard 0.80 carbon monoxide 38.08 applicable standard 12.00 and the nox is 0.85 and standard is 2.00. Before changing cat the hc and the carbon monoide passed with low numbers

Old 05-26-12, 03:36 PM
no the check engine light is not on here are my reading and standards if that tells you any thing. My results numbers are 1.11 hc applicable standard 0.80 carbon monoxide 38.08 applicable standard 12.00 and the nox is 0.85 and standard is 2.00. Before changing cat the hc and the carbon monoide passed with low numbers

Old 05-26-12, 08:27 PM
In my opinion you might want to consider having a scan done with an OB1 scanner just to confirm that there is nothing obvious showing up with the emissions systems and or performance. Not sure if these older systems are available as a free scan at places like Auto Zone. Sometimes the CEL does not immediately come on. The OBD1 systems were first gen diagnostics also and were not as effective as those that followed hence OBD2. Assuming that the vehicle runs as you would expect with smooth starts and no miss fire acceleration performance and idle, and that all the basic maitenance including plug wires is up to date and the gas cap is working properly this is where I would start. A leaking gas cap can increase HC levels at the end of the pipe as well as affect the evap performance. If nothing shows up, what condition is the engine in regarding high mileage and compression? Is there any abnormal oil or coolant consumption? Do you know if the vehicle was built to meet California emission standards as if I remember back around then Toyota installed separate engines for California standards and I am not sure if your location would have different standards for that vehicle than where it was first sold.

Old 05-27-12, 05:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Great advice from all. One other thing to consider. It happened to me. How close do you live to the inspection station? Do you crank it up and drive right there? If so, it is possible all the parameters haven't fully set in the computer. My mechanic told me, upon initial failure, to run it up the interstate and back a couple of miles. Worked. Passed within parameters.

Old 05-27-12, 07:35 AM
I have a new gas cap that they say passes presure test. Thyere are no signs off the motor burning oil or using coolant. The car runs great doesnt miss fire and does not sputter. it runs smooth. I did notice when i changed the plugs that they had two split fire plugs and two regular plugs. Do you think that was for a reason and what could it be. The car runs great with the regular plugs.

Old 05-27-12, 08:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
IMO, splitfires are a gimmick. They can foul out early on. Have you tried the emission test after the new plugs went in, and after running it a while on the new plugs? Have all your codes cleared, also.

Old 05-27-12, 08:51 AM
the cel has never come. I have changed the distributer and the fuel pump in the last three months and im at a loss why the things that passed originally are now failing since the cat has been changed. Could it be the computer. is bad

Old 05-27-12, 10:25 AM
sorry to be pain in ars, but you need to start using comas. it is hard to tell - considering I been real sick for 3 days by now - what's what in your emissions. it's like one long sentence, with no separators. I'll have to guess, that your HC and CO are high, with CO being WAY high. please, confirm. NOX appears to be fine.
did you look into paying for "emissions repairs" and obtaining receipt allowing you to have tabs?

Old 05-27-12, 10:29 AM
What causes high HC. What causes high Hydrocarbon - SmogTips.com. Failed HC Emissions. Why did my car fail the emission test for high HC emissions. What is HC. My vehicle failed the emission test for high Hydrocarbons. Why my car produced high HC. Hi

What causes high CO. What causes high Carbon Monoxide - SmogTips.com. Failed CO Emissions. Why did my car fail the emission test for high CO emissions. What is CO. My vehicle failed the emission test for high Carbon Monoxides. Why my car produced hig

combined repairs, on guesswork, will cost you way more than $250 towards emissions "repairs" to pass. Assuming, it's the only vehicle available, I'd have gone for "repairs" first, than have her scanned at a shop (Parts stores do not have OBDI scanners), which is only around $ 65-75, faulty parts pinpointed, and replaced DIY.

I spoke. You do what you want to do.