Replacing Honda Fluids on 2006 Honda Accord

Old 05-29-12, 05:23 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing Honda Fluids on 2006 Honda Accord

Had a routine oil change at Honda dealer this weekend plus a thorough PM check.

Car has about 80 K miles V-6

Granted all the fluids probably should be changed. However, the pricing even for a Honda dealer seemed over the top.

Talking about transmission fluid, brake fluid, and power steering fluid.

Here are my questions. What is the difference between a fluid flush and fill versus a drain and fill?

The Honda manual definitely encourages the use of only Honda OEM fluids. Is this really just self serving or is there a good reason to use Honda fluids?

When should a PCV valve be replaced? Strictly as a PM based on age and mileage?

And how do the experts feel about these carbon/fuel induction treatments? Just a gimmick to add to the btm line of the dealer or does this really help in the performance/gas mileage?

Thank you for reading and all replies.

Old 05-29-12, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Go by the manufacturer (not dealer) recommendations. Seems early for the trans to me. Brakes? If they've never been flushed and refilled...might be a good idea. Steering? That I dunno.....any mention in the manual?

A trans flush involves using a pressure and suction machine as well as a solvent on the trans. Normally they disconnect the lines hook up the machine, drain all the fluid, then pump in the solvent and run it through for a while, then refill with fluid. Unnecessary and expensive and can damage the trans. I'd bet lunch the manufacturer does NOT recommend it. The dealer just makes a lot more money.

Drain and fill is self explanatory. Drain the fluid by suction, drain hole or dropping the pan....refill with new.

Same thing with the fuel treatments. Unless there is a driveability problem or a sticky throttle body...dealer makes more money.

At one time some Honda fluids were vital...I remember it for my old 80's model. Power steering fluid was Honda specific and you couldn't always find it at parts stores. A dealer will always use brand specific fluids. Local mechanic will use compatible fluids which will be much cheaper but meet the same specs.

Old 05-29-12, 06:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
There's plenty of arguments on the subject, but I'm of Vic's mindset. IMHO unless it's a warranty issue or something proprietary (dealer only), I never recommend dealership service. Any good independent can provide as good or better service for your vehicle at a fraction of the cost and the better ones don't try to sell snake oil treatments that aren't called for by the manufacturer.

For the actual benefits received above and beyond what simple drain and fill accomplishes, the prices are generally excessive but have to be charged to justify the cost of the equipment. I've never had a "flush" done on any of my vehicles other than brake fluid; that is one that has actual benefits since the brake fluid absorbs water over time. Every few years probably sufficient there.

The manufacturers fluids are often called for in the owner's manual but to the best of my knowledge you won't find any mention that it voids the warranty if you use Prestone brake fluid, for instance, instead of Genuine Honda Fluid; 'nuff said.

Used to be mostly the quickie lube places who would up-sell all kinds of unneeded flushes and services, but lately plenty of dealerships, franchise chains, and independents have gotten into the act because of the big bucks.

Old 05-29-12, 06:26 AM
Group Moderator
By now you've had the timing belt replaced I hope? That would be way more important than buying genuine Honda fluids (BTW Gates, et al, make good replacement belts so really no need to shell out big bucks for genuine Honda there, either).

Old 05-29-12, 06:29 AM
T
What about replacing the PCV valve? Heck, I don't even know what a PCV valve is and where it's located, much less the function?

Thanks for the replies.

Old 05-29-12, 06:31 AM
Group Moderator
Absent some indication it is bad, which is pretty rare especially given your mileage, I wouldn't mess with it. They're about 3 or 4 bucks probably at a parts store. Just curious, what did they want for a Honda one?

Next time you're near a parts store stop in and ask them to show you one; they might even point it out to you on your engine. Then be nice and buy something.

Old 05-29-12, 06:35 PM
Received 62 Upvotes on 53 Posts
well, not to get under Vic's gun fire

drain and refill has none to do with suction. It's simple gravity drain through a drain plug. Normally, drains fluid only out of transmission. Honda historically does not use filters, so that's off the hook here. The you simply refill what drained.
Primary difference between drain and fill and full drain and fill is that it's about trifold difference in volume. Generally, total transmission SYSTEM capacity is about three times what you drain through the plug. As a result, under drain anf fill, you only refill a third or so of your fluid.
When they do full flush and refill, ENTIRE system capacity is replaced.
I bet you, for 2006, he has chain engine, not belt. My 04 CR-V had chain.
Serpentine is due at around 100 000 miles, so are plugs.
JUst my grenade here.
Never had PS fluid drained...
You have antilocks, those prolly must be dealer or special equipment bled, because of the ABS module valves. But if you are below 100 000 miles, and have no brake issues and brake fluid does not look like a tar, why bother..
Btw, that's why we DIY all this, buddy.

Old 05-30-12, 03:24 PM
Group Moderator
Yeah, I wasn't sure, but the Gates site Timing Belt Guide lists a belt application.

Name:  t_belt.JPG
Views: 9299
Size:  26.1 KB

I don't get overly worked up over how much fluid I replace or not on my wrecker tranny service when I do a drain & fill and my last tranny to go belly up [not counting the cracked case I had to replace] I think was closing in on 300k miles even with the severe service I give it, BUT I do the drain and fill about twice as often as the average guy [especially since there's a lot of cars running around at 100k miles with factory fluid in them].

Old 05-30-12, 04:12 PM
J
Transmission drain and fill is worthless unless your changing filter,only replaces a small amount of fluid suggest complete flush.brake fluid is design as a hydralic fluid and is designed to absorb moisture,after many years fluid cant absorb any more so get the brake flush.when fuel injection came out injectors needed to be clean .havent seen a injector clog in the last ten years,but do think you need to have your throttle body assembly cleaned every 30,000 miles.Some fluids for honda are specific your local auto parts should be able to tell you.

Old 05-31-12, 04:30 AM
Group Moderator
Left out filter change; they get done with the drain and fill; since I don't have a drain plug and the pan has to come off would be silly not to change it.

We'll have to agree to disagree about total flush vs. filter/drain/fill. Can someone insert an image here from a Honda (or other make) owner's manual that calls for a transmission flush in the service schedule?

Old 05-31-12, 10:24 AM
T
Thank you for your replies.

For tow guy

To answer your question about the pricing on PVC valve, it was $67 from the dealer, parts and labor. After further investigation, I am told that the PVC valve replacement is normally included in the first major tune-up that is recommended at 100 K. Could a Honda expert confirm this?

Back to the flush and fill versus drain and fill. I am told that while the dealers recommend flush and fill on transmission fluid service, Honda itself does not. Any verification of this or comment. I got this straight from a Honda expert who now runs an independent shop specializing in Honda/Accura repairs and service. I've always felt this expert has forgotten more about Hondas than dealers service Depts know.

Will have to follow up on the brake fluid and power steering fluid service.

I am told that the major reason dealers' service Depts push transmission fluid flush and fill service and carbon/fuel induction treatment is self serving because of incentive programs. Do I smell a rip off?

I would hope true Honda service experts see this post and will respond.

Thank you.

Old 05-31-12, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Well Tiger...the nose knows...I think your sniffer is working just fine. Most "Dealer Recommended" items are snake oil. I say most, because some honest dealers do indeed take in to account local conditions and driving.

Do you not have your factory manuals....both operator and maintenance schedule?

Interesting...I just checked Autozone....they don't even SHOW a PCV valve available? They show an EGR valve...but thats not the same thing at all is it? And just the part is $80, so I doubt Honda would install it for even less.

Tiger...is that guy with the shop local? I would absolutely let him do all your work. You'll probably get better service and save money.

I needed just front brakes on the wifes SUV a few years ago. Called a dealer and a local national brake chain...one was $450, the other was even higher. Talked to a few people for garage recommendations...stopped at a small independent that several recommended. $245 out the door, even asked if I needed a ride home, called me 2 hrs later and said "yer all set".

Old 05-31-12, 02:05 PM
Group Moderator
What Vic said.

Some interesting reading:

Do You Need To Flush Your Transmission? | Suite101.com

Fluid Flush Fallacy

As to the PCV, without even looking I would wager that the 100k replacement could very well be called for. What the actual maintenance schedule probably says would be to inspect at certain intervals, like 10 or 20k miles or something, and replace at 100k. I'm not exactly sure if yours is some weird configuration or hard to access, but I doubt I would ever pay $67 to replace one. It's your basic check valve, not space shuttle-level engineering.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: