Replacing rear struts - 86 Chevy Nova

Old 06-09-12, 04:20 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Replacing rear struts - 86 Chevy Nova

I can find the parts, but I haven't been able to find instructions. My trusty Haynes manual did a re-direct from Remove Rear Struts to Install Front Struts!

Old 06-09-12, 04:31 PM
E
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
That car is a Toyota Corolla Sprinter. I would try and look for service information under Corolla for that year. I bought one of those NUMMI Novas new back then and found that it was more or less a twin to the '86 Corolla.

Old 06-09-12, 05:30 PM
I've used that trick many times over the years. Thanks for the reminder. Unfortunately, it has thus far not produced any useful information.

Old 06-09-12, 06:46 PM
Received 62 Upvotes on 53 Posts
my wild guess is you actually have cartridge shocks, if it's Toyota knock off for the year.. I hope I am wrong. Those are pain.
sure enough, I was right:
MacPherson Strut Type
MacPherson Strut Type

Coil spring and shock absorber removal and installation procedures are identical to those already detailed in the previous MacPherson Strut section (Front Suspension). Please refer to these procedures for any work involving the rear struts. If replacement of the MacPherson type shock absorber is required, a small hole must be drilled in the bottom of the strut tube to relieve the gas pressure in the shock before discarding the shock assembly

| Repair Guides | Rear Suspension | Shock Absorbers | AutoZone.com

Old 06-09-12, 06:58 PM
Coil spring and shock absorber removal and installation procedures are identical to those already detailed in the previous MacPherson Strut section (Front Suspension). Please refer to these procedures for any work involving the rear struts.
Okay. So that's why my repair manual re-directed me to the section for the front struts. Thanks. With a printout of the AutoZone information you linked to plus what's in the manual, I think I'm ready to tackle it.

Old 06-10-12, 12:52 PM
Received 62 Upvotes on 53 Posts
last time I had to undo cartridge shock, it required either a special wrench or very skilled hand with chisel+sledge+strong vise to undo top cap. not sure about yours, we did Hondas.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: