Toyota MR2 Advice

Old 06-08-12, 03:39 AM
Toyota MR2 Advice

I see this is from 03 and am a little behind but was hoping to get some advice from @Joe_f I recently bought a 92 mr2 and I realize your not a huge fan but it's to late for me ha. I saved up for months and months working doubles for it. It's all stock t top non turbo runs great, speedometer broke along with odometer and paint has seen some sun. I love this car so much and will do anything to keep it/get it into a great car! I don't know much about cars but have been reading forums to pickmup any extra knowledge. I'm no racer but I wanna add horsepower and make it sound good and look good. Ut don't wanna do anything to ruin it! Any advice on what I should do to it? So far I'm thinking paint job, alarm system, stereo system and I wanna do stuff to the engine itself but no idea where to start! Please help out! I really like your opinions

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-12, 04:31 AM
Group Moderator
Moderator note: Justin, Joe hasn't been with us for several years. I moved your post to a fresh thread where it'll get some attention and answers. TG

For the wide-ranging number of topics involved you might consider visiting one of the MR2 specific forums on the web; there are several, just search "MR2 forums".

Without going into specifics I'll make a general suggestion that you make sure the car is mechanically sound before spending a lot of $$$ on extras, otherwise you'll have a car with a nice paint job and killer stereo as an expensive lawn ornament.

Old 06-08-12, 11:34 PM
Thank you the_tow_guy! I'm new to forums. You said you moved it for me? So people will start replying to this one? Again thank you soo much! And see that's what I'd love to do! I wouldn't care if it looked horrible but ran beautiful. Problem is I feel like most people my age and everyone around me just says to get cold air intake or big exhaust or make it a turbo. So I guess I'm just trying to get some ideas. Thanks for the help

Old 06-09-12, 04:58 AM
Group Moderator
Before I started adding on "performance" parts [note I put that word in parentheses] I would first ensure all the routine stuff is up to snuff, i.e. plugs, wires, dist cap & rotor, filters, brakes, tires. Can you post a pic? Like to see what you're working with.

Old 06-09-12, 05:30 AM
Yeah definitely! Should just post of body or engine? Yeah I'm definitely gonna check on all of those first, I know the tires are only about 2 months old

Old 06-09-12, 06:11 AM
Things to do when you first get your MR2 NA - Toyota MR2 Message Board

Maybe I should start with this? What do you think?

Old 06-11-12, 05:21 AM
Group Moderator
I didn't read the whole thing, but it looks pretty well written and seems like it should keep you moving along in the right direction.

Body and engine pics would be nice to eyeball.

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 06-11-12 at 05:49 AM.
Old 06-11-12, 01:47 PM
Old 06-11-12, 01:51 PM
i can take more and more engine ones also. thanks for helping me

Old 06-11-12, 07:04 PM
how exactly much did you pay for it?
say, vs this one:

BEAUTIFUL CUSTOM SLEEPY EYE '92 TURBO MR2 - OBO

where you already have someone else done all the work for you?

Old 06-16-12, 10:06 PM
That post was flagged. How clean was it and price. I only paid 1700 and it runs really strong! A friend of mine that knows a good amount about cars drove it and said it ran really good and couldn't find anything bad to say about it. Is it a little worse then you expected? Ha