2000 dodge interpid

Old 06-08-12, 09:37 AM
2000 dodge interpid

When you turn on the fan the motor makes a high pitch sound, not the fan motor, Is that the compresure? or what would make that sound. The air cond dosnt work, hasent in years to much dollars to fix . I didnt get a chance to look at it yet. Any help is great.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-12, 03:59 PM
Group Moderator
If the ac is already dead, then the compressor shouldn't be engaging to make noise or put a load on the engine.

Old 06-09-12, 03:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Does the high pitch sound increase when you move the fan from low to high?

Old 06-09-12, 05:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
shouldn't be engaging
Unless the compressor is frozen up and actually does engage with the switch. The belt would squeal like a pig running over a pulley that is not turning. The pulley could free wheel without engagement. Removing the AC fuse may stop it from engaging.

Old 06-10-12, 05:56 AM
The sound moves with the motor speed. Not the fan speed. The sound only comes when the defroster is used or the ac button is pressed. That was why I thought it was the compresor. Looking at it late last night the belt is not slipping at least what I could see. I'm going to try to remove the fuse to see if that helps. Woudln't the comp still engauge if the air didn't work when you turn on the defroster?

Old 06-10-12, 06:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The defroster is separate from the ac. Did you check the tension on the belt?

Old 06-10-12, 09:58 AM
Group Moderator
Alternator? More juice being drawn when the high amp circuits are engaged?

Old 06-10-12, 01:00 PM
on most modern cars defrost mode turns a/c on, telling you this or not.

hey, grab piece of tubing or garden hose, use it as stethoscope to pin point the noise origin. right now everyone is shooting wild guesses.

idler pulley may squeal like a pig also. water pump.. btw, first I hear cooling fans changing rpms... but what do I know..

Old 06-10-12, 08:56 PM
Since there are a lot of wild guesses, has a leaking vaccum line been eliminated especially if thte HVAC controls use vaccum for the accuators?

Old 06-11-12, 05:39 AM
Group Moderator
Ooooh; good thought, 'nox.

Old 06-11-12, 06:14 AM
Thanks everybody for trying to help The problem was with the compressor , when under load the bearinges were heating up . Just so you know the defroster and the air are the same. THanks again

Old 06-11-12, 06:59 PM
good to know. it's serviceable part and with some trickery and on some vehicles, you can replace clutch bearing without removing compressor. I have done it on some very tight vehicles, like 04 Mitsu Expo LRV.
They do not want to sell you bearing itself. Dealer will only sell you entire comp assy. I was blessed having CarQuest nutheads in Hermitage, TN, that matched bearing and entire cost was $6 plus tax and finger twisting prestidigitation to put it back onto comp.