2004 Ford Taurus--Air Conditioner blowing hot air

Old 04-09-12, 05:07 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
2004 Ford Taurus--Air Conditioner blowing hot air

My air conditioner hasn't worked in over a year. I have had it looked at and was told that there are no leaks and the coolant is full. Not sure what the issue is. I was also told that the entire dashboard would need to be removed to maybe find the problem, which could be the "switch" that goes from Hot to Cold.

Any suggestions on what the issue may be and how much I should expect to pay to get it fixed?

Last edited by kaw41; 04-09-12 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-09-12, 06:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
That would be "refrigerant" vice "coolant".

From your description I'm assuming the compressor is not engaging when ac is selected rather than the ac IS engaging but no cool air being delivered from the vents. My best suggestion would be to take it to a good independent specialty a/c shop, one whose business is primarily ac work. Could be anything from a dead relay/blown fuse to the faulty control you mentioned, which would, very likely, require extensive dashboard work. It looks to be an electrical issue and any good ac tech with a wiring diagram and test equipment should be able to diagnose it without having to guess.

Old 04-10-12, 05:10 PM
W
Turn on the defroster and see if the compressor kicks on and that the cooling fan turns on. if both are running then it could be the pressure switch witch is a easy repair.

Old 04-10-12, 05:25 PM
Group Moderator
Could even jumper the pressure switch connector to see if system cuts on; that would have been pretty basic troubleshooting by whoever checked it already.

Old 06-19-12, 06:13 PM
R
what i would try is 2 things. i have a 1996 ford taurus and for years the A/C would not turn on. from one day to annother it just stopped working. so i did some research and if the coolent is ok then either the relay in the relay box (not the fuse box) next to the battery which looks like a black box is broken and you could get annother one from a junk yard or one of the pressure sensors is broken. follow your A/C line and look for sensors that may come out of them. the one with 2 wires is the one that usually breaks. unplug it and override it with a paper clip. that should tell you if the sensor is broken.

Old 06-20-12, 04:47 AM
Group Moderator
kaw41 appears to be a one-post member; hasn't been back since.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: