1996 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3l

Old 06-17-12, 05:19 PM
1996 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3l

A couple days ago I started having a starting problem with my van. It turns over fine but it doesn't seem to want to fire up sometimes. If the van's nose is downhill it seems to fire up no problem but when the nose is uphill it seems to take longer to fire up. Once it's running it runs fine no stutters. It doesn't idle rough...

When it is having one of those bad starting times it sputters a a few times trying but once it catches it runs fine. I don't get the impression that the filter is the problem and I have no idea if it was changed before I purchased it used. Like I say it seems to run and accellerate exactly as it always has. I haven't checked the spark plugs yet but weather permitting I will tomorrow.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-12, 08:33 AM
First thing that comes to mind is the fuel pressure regulator. Parking the vehicle facing uphill could allow a faulty regulator to let fuel run out of the fuel rail and back to the tank; downhill allows the rail to remain full. even if it loses pressure. Does the van take longer to fire up if it's been sitting for a while (say, overnight) than after just a few minutes of not running? Just an idea of where to start... Chris

Old 06-30-12, 01:32 PM
Van is fixed it was the fuel pump and the inline filter was replaced at the same time. So yes in fact you were on the right track Chris. Fortunately I as driving the van when it finally died so it made it easier for the mechanic to trouble shoot the problem. Zero fuel pressure.

Cheers

Old 06-30-12, 01:44 PM
Good to hear you're back and running. Sorry it was the pump! The hard break is almost always easier to diagnose than the intermittent nonsense, though. It does suck when it gives trouble for so long BEFORE the solid failure, doesn't it? - Chris

Search this Thread