87 Suzuki samurai hesitates/cuts off with acceleration

Old 06-24-12, 03:55 PM
87 Suzuki samurai hesitates/cuts off with acceleration

I just bought it, ran fine on way home...sat in yard for 2 days.... Drove it around farm one afternoon, ran fine, then all of a sudden when we were turning around, letting off clutch to go forward it started bogging down and cut off, would crank back, but upon accelerating it would bogg down and cut off.... Pulled it home... Next day it crunk fine, rode bout 2 miles to store, filled up with gas and drove back home... Bout an hour later I took a drive and it started bogging under acceleration again before I got out of my yard..... Motor is rebuilt with approx 5000 miles on it
Need suggestions on what my problem may be.
Thankyou

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-12, 07:53 PM
Any advice is appreciated

Old 06-24-12, 08:46 PM
So far it sounds like it could well be fuel pressure related. Did you change the fuel filter yet? What condition is the fuel tank in? That is an old vehicle and there could be lots of debris around the pump screen. What was the situation with that vehicle before you bought it? How long had it been sitting?

Old 06-24-12, 09:49 PM
I haven't changed the filter yet, planned on getting one tomorrow... Guy I bought it from drove it daily, told me it had no issues at all

Old 06-25-12, 04:18 AM
Group Moderator
I'm in nox's corner; first thing I thought of was fuel filter.

Old 06-25-12, 11:06 AM
Sounds like you have a carburation problem such as clogged main jet are other passages clogged. If they didn't go through the carb when they rebuilt the motor and put the updated kit in it then you may have some internal vaccum leaks in the carb caused by ethanol damanging the buna n seals which are not compatable with the ethanol.

Old 06-26-12, 06:48 PM
Replaced the fuel filter, wasn't the problem, checked the fuel pump, it's working fine.

Old 06-26-12, 07:17 PM
It does sound like what JPeop suggested would be the next logical step to look into. If it has a carb it could be either dirt in the main jet, a sticking float not keeping the bowl full of fuel, or time for a replacement that is modern day ethanol fuel compatable assuming the fuel pump is doing it's job. You might as a first step want to pull the carb off and apart and see what is going on there next.

Old 06-27-12, 12:54 PM
The fuel pump is working like it should... The hesitation during acceleration is only happening once it warms up, runs excellent for 2-3 miles, then it starts spitting and sputtering

Old 06-27-12, 03:45 PM
I'm not sure what sensors it has but things like a throttle position sensor can cause issues like this as well. Your two options are basically fuel and/or spark and/or something connected to one of those two things. I had a Nissan that loved to eat "ignitors" or "coils" or whatever you want to call them. Spark would be fine until it warmed up. Then it would start sending weak current when it got warm. Again, I'm not familiar with the Suzuki but things to look for or replace. They're typically fairly cheap if you're doing the labor yourself.

Old 06-27-12, 08:40 PM
It would be more pronounced when the engine warmed as then the choke would be off and if you are not getting proper fuel then it would not be as evident when cold because the choke is forcing it into a rich condition by cutting back on the air that is avaible to the engine and once it opened up it is in an extremely lean condition. You can take the air cleaner off and look down the throat of the carburator with the engine off and watch to see if you get a shot off gas from the accellator pump when you go from idle to wide open on the throttle. Remember that you will have to hold the choke plate open so that you can see were the fuel would be sprayed into the throat of the carb.
Jim

Search this Thread