2005 Impala overheating

Old 06-25-12, 08:29 PM
2005 Impala overheating

My daughter's 2005 Impala had the temp gauge rise to the point where the indicator light came on today. She indicated she was stopped in a construction zone, but when she started moving again the temp gauge went back down and the light went off. There was no indication of any anti-freeze leaking the reservoir had plenty of anti freeze in it. I started the car and drove it about 2 blocks without incident to the tow truck.

We had the same problem 6 months ago and the Chevy dealer was unable to duplicate the issue, so they changed the thermostat and a bypass hose. That was 6 months and 10K miles ago and $350 later. The car is at a dealer in Elkhart, IN.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas? Could it be defective cooling fans, another thermostat, bad sending unit???

Any help/ideas would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-12, 08:15 AM
Since it happened while sitting and corrected after moving my first thought would be the fans arent working. Also looking at the res doesnt always tell you the fluid level is where it should be.

Old 06-26-12, 08:29 AM
Group Moderator
I have had GM cars in the past which did not seem to be able to mitigate then engine heat when idling, so this does not surprise me.

Old 06-27-12, 02:20 PM
Just an update on this situation. The Chevy dealer advised that the head gasket is leaking. Cost to repair - $1900. They are going to pressure test the cylinder heads as well and if either or both of those need replaced cost is $650.00 each.

Does this sound like a scam or is it legitimate?

Old 06-27-12, 02:46 PM
Group Moderator
I had a blown headgasket repaired on a Olds Alero 3.1L V6 in 2005 and it was about $700. The heads could be resurfaced, they had not cracked.

Also, this is a result of the overheating, not the cause of it.

Old 06-27-12, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator
Lord....unless prices have gone way up...replacing a gasket shouldn't be near that much. I had a head and gasket replaced on a V8 Dodge Dakota (under warranty luckily) about 8 yrs ago. They listed the cost, but the price was listed with a N/C for my part. As I remember it was right around $800.

Old 06-27-12, 10:04 PM
Blake616 the dealer can not tell you that the head gasket is leaking or that a head is cracked without doing a cylinder leak-down test and compression test and also doing a exhaust gas coolant test which will tell you if you have a problem with the heads are gaskets. Has the vehicle been losing coolant if, it is not losing coolant then I would look at the cooling fan relays fuses and temp sending unit for the fan, When you say it was overheating will sitting in a construction zone I would start looking at the cooling fan circuits as you said the temp went down as soon as she got past the zone that would make look at the air flow over the radiator are would look at a water pump as it may have internal wear and not pumping enough water when idling to maintain the temp.