brakes + decision

Old 06-28-12, 06:32 AM
brakes + decision

Hello
I have a 2007 Corolla sedan and after a brake job(about $440) I started hearing a knocking in the left front.
I thought it would go away so waited for a month or two but it got worse and only happens when it has been driven about 1/2 hour. The Meineke person said he cannot fix it if he cannot hear it but when I go there it stops. he said I hit a pothole. I am an old geezer so need help with a decision.
It is really loud at times. It is now about 5 months later and he said he charges for labor.
It happens when you are stopping straight and goes"knock, knock until you take your foot off the pedal. The receipt says change fluid, new pads and shoes, new hard ware.
Should I go back to him and tell him to fix it and pay or go to another guy who I have been to before and ?think? I can trust?

Thank you
Peter

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-12, 08:08 AM
Personally, I'd have the shop I trust check it out and see if it's something messed up by the brake job or not. If so, have them put it in writing (if they're comfortable) and go back to the first place and tell them you would like a free fix on it. If they did in fact cause a problem they have insurance for it. I got an oil leak after my mechanic did some work on my timing chain area. I brought it back and he said, "we'll take care of you!" For that reason, I continue to go there. If they mess up, they admit it and I keep going back. They don't play games.

Old 06-28-12, 08:19 AM
I'm kind of confused by your information.
To cause this issue, you must drive 30 minutes?
What kind of driving (city stop and go or highway cruising)?
The noise only happens when you brake to a complete stop, or any time while applying the brakes?
Happen with both light braking and hard braking?
Where abouts is the noise coming from (front/back, driver or passenger side, or inside the cabin)?
Any check engine lights or other lights appear on your dash?
Does this happen when the road is wet, dry or any condition?

Old 06-28-12, 12:33 PM
Moderator help

Hello
A-Dear moderator - the reason I asked for a moderator is that I came back to this site to find I had replies but my Hotmail account had no notifications. I checked my spam etc folders. I also checked my information here and it is the default to receive instant notification by email.
I am not complaining at all but am bringing this to your attention in case there is an issue you wish to deal with. Thank you for your patience.

B- In regards to my auto issue, the knocking occurs on any surface and is audible when you touch the brake pedal. It sounds as though it is on the left front side as though a pad is loose.
No lights come on and it only happens when the car has been driven for about 30 minutes. Perhaps metal has expanded due to heat.
The tech said he put in new hardware, new fluid, new pads and turned the rotors when he did the job. He has a one month labor warranty and it has been more than that.
He listened to the noise today and said it would cost $94 to get rid of the noise.
If I go elsewhere, I will probably put good money after bad. I live about 30 minutes from DC so there is a shop on every corner. They are very busy and don't need the business.
Thank you all for your replies and I certainly hope I can get to receive email notifications. I have used this site since I 1st got a PC. It is my first forum.
Peter

Old 06-28-12, 01:18 PM
Did he mention what that $94 was to fix?

Old 06-28-12, 01:31 PM
brakes

Hello
He would not answer the question. I asked evry way possible and he would shrug his shoulders and say he has to look. One time he said I'll have to put new pads on because that's all that's left.
I said what do you mean you have not done anything but pull 2 tires and tell me the pads are thick.
I am not going back of course but I have to be careful as he has a gun to my head so will just pay up.
The receipt/work order will be interesting. It will probably say labor $94. period.
Since the recession/depression I have noticed everyone has their hands in everyone's pockets. I have been around 7 decades and this is quite noticeable.
Integrity and honest work = honest dollar are no more.

Old 06-28-12, 01:45 PM
Group Moderator
Can't say as I'd be willing to go back to this guy.

Old 06-28-12, 03:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I had replies but my Hotmail account had no notifications
I haven't used that feature in a long time but you have to check a box [or something ] for each thread that you want notifications from. It won't automatically notify you otherwise.

Old 06-28-12, 03:39 PM
notification

Thank you.
I will take another look but it seemed under subscriptions or somewhere it was already defaulted to receive email instantly.
I'll go there now.

Old 06-28-12, 03:44 PM
nootifications

I went to the forum first and saw the note from retired painter but it was not in my box.
I also saw a note from Mitch the modrator and that was in my inbox.
I guess we are making progress.

Old 06-28-12, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator
Peter....your profile shows your email as being a live.com account...not hotmail.

Live.com is where all notifications would go. You need to go to "Forum Actions" and "Edit Profile" on the toolbar near the top. Set your email to the account you currently use.

Also...if you go to General Settings and scroll down about half way...you'll see a line "New Private Message Notification Pop-up"....select "show" and any PMs you receive will cause a popup window as an alert.

As to the Subscriptions....you have to subscribe to a thread...but you will then receive Instant email notifications.

What does this line say? "Default Thread Subscription Mode"

Old 06-29-12, 05:27 AM
MODs;
Can we move this subscription chat to another thread?
It's sending this thread sideways and totally off the automotive topic.

To the OP;
Is it safe to assume you have no more warranty left? If you do still have some, a quick visit to your local dealer would answer your question.
Alternatively, most major chains offer a free brake inspection. Again, it would depend on how trust worthy they are.

The kicker with this issue is it could be non-brake related. There is so much going on under there that it's hard to nail things down.
When you hear the noise, is is a consistant knock that slows as the car slows?

Edit:
It has been some time since the brakes where done, might be worth giving them a good cleaning, regrease the sliders and maybe even bleed the lines.
I would assume any air in the system would have worked it's way out, but with the systems we have these days (and my lack of knowledge of your system specifically) there might be some air in the system.
Cleaning and greesing the brakes should take about an hour of your time and cost you less then $15 for the brake cleaner and greese.
I was going to post up the basic steps to remove the caliper and clean/greese everything, but I found a youtube video that was fairly decent. One thing to note, you do not need to use the clamp if you are not replacing the pads. If you are replacing the pads, I would suggest loosening the brake fluid resivor fill cap so that the pressure can excape.
Brake Pad Replacement 2006 Toyota Corolla - YouTube
This may not be the solution to your problem, but it is good yearly maintenance and would allow you to personally see what shape things are in.

Last edited by Northern Mike; 06-29-12 at 05:56 AM.
Old 06-29-12, 10:25 AM
mod help and brakes

First, thank you for your help as moderator.
Secondly, I really appreciate your answer and took notes. I am taking it back to him so there is no confusion. I will test drive to see if the noise is gone though it took a while last time. Summary is I thank you for the time it took to reply.
I will didgenly persue this. I now know there is much to brakes that can be wrong and he has to fix it even if i pay the $94.
He is losing a customer.
Thank you again
Peter