93 Saturn SL2 runs rough and only gets 10mpg

Old 06-30-12, 04:43 PM
Lightbulb 93 Saturn SL2 runs rough and only gets 10mpg

'93 Saturn SL2 won't start w/o pumping and holding the pedal to the floor,and once warm,you have to feather the pedal or it will stall and die, 10 mpg is not good. It's my inlaw's car and she says it's been checked last year and no codes came up on the tester.

Throttle position sensor? bad injectors? can I reset the system to factory specks?Bad grounds? any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-12, 04:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
With fuel injection you should not have to "pump" the accelerator. So many things on a Saturn. Map sensor, injector clog, tps, sure, but I would have the codes run again to see what is happening. A lot can happen in a year. I feel you will find the ignition pack has gone south. You don't have a distributor system, so the computer tells the plugs when to spark. I believe that to be true on the 93's. Wifey had a newer one with a V6 and it had a bad ignition pack for the back bank. Changed it out and solved the problem. HOWEVER, it did show up on the code search as "#4 plug not firing". Yours should show something similar.

Old 07-01-12, 03:14 AM
Thanks for taking the time to help solve this or those problems. What you said seems very probable.

I'll test it and see what it says asap....this kind of engineering seems too complicated, You'd think

that they want to keep customers out from under the hood, I get it, I sure miss the days of opening the hood and seeing just an engine ,radiator and a battery ! Thanks again Peter