manual trans fluid change

Old 07-01-12, 11:12 AM
manual trans fluid change

I'm wanting to change my manual transmission fluid today but the vehicle can't be driven until tomorrow (other work being performed simultaneously today). Most instructions describe to first drive the vehicle around a little so as to warm up the fluid before draining. The specified manual transmission fluid for my vehicle is ATF. How necessary is it that I really would need to drive around a little and warm it up before draining? Comments appreciated. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-12, 04:53 PM
I like to have anything warmed up before draining. You will have the contaminents stirred up and in suspention so they will drain out. If the recomendation is for ATF by all means use that. There are different types of ATF so a little more research may be needed. If you had stated the make of vehicle maybe someone could have been more specific.

Old 07-01-12, 05:20 PM
We are assuming it's automatic? As ATF is generic term for automatic fluids, but some companies use ATF in differentials, eg.

Normally, ENTIRE system contains 3 times what you drain out. 3 to 4, to be exact. My Galant had 12 qrts total volume, but drained only 3.

So, how exactly much you going to "stir" and flush out is prolly quite questionable. What you should do is to postpone this process, pour can of Transtune in, and let it drive for several hundred miles. Then do your drain/refill. THAT WILL clean a lot of gump out of your transmission.

Old 07-01-12, 05:24 PM
You do not mention filter change? Is it a Honda? Rest of them pretty much has filters to be changed at regular intervals. THAT is some job.

Old 07-01-12, 08:29 PM
As mentioned in my intial post here, the transmission is manual, not automatic. The vehicle is a 98 2WD Ford Ranger. There's no filter involved here. The Ford service guide specifies Mercon type ATF be used, so that's what I'll be using. Capacity is 2.8 quarts of the ATF. The procedure is straightforward; just need to remove the drain plug located at the bottom, let it drain, the refill with fresh fluid through the fill plug hole located toward the top. I decided to wait until tomorrow after I can drive it around a little to warm up the fluid some, before draining. thanks

Old 07-02-12, 05:14 AM
Group Moderator
I was assuming it was a manual. As noted, always best to warm it up at least a little and it's not exactly a time-critical maintenance item, so your plan is good.

Old 07-02-12, 06:41 PM
Yes, noticed it NOW. Straight in the title. ATF as manual transmission fluid? I know why you warm up NORMAL manual lubricant - because it's very thick, like honey. But ATF? Mazda must have gone mad...

Old 07-02-12, 08:32 PM
I know. seems weird. to put automatic transmission fluid in a manual transmission. but, thats the specification. whatever...

Old 07-04-12, 11:01 PM
Manual trans fluid is an easy deal. Sounds like you have a handle on it. ATF does seem odd but...you can typically use a multi-grade oil so not too odd... As an aside, I called around to see what people were charging to do the service...had one independent shop say he couldn't charge me more than $25 or he'd feel guilty. Had the bigger places in the $80-100 range and, the dealer...$120 I believe. So, I bought the fluid for about $15 and did it myself in less than 30 minutes. Easier than an oil change. Figure the dealer must charge $360 for an oil change since it's 3 times more annoying. I drive it to warm it up, too.

Old 07-05-12, 07:10 AM
Over the years there have been different lubes used in manual transmissions from ep90 to atf to motor oil. We are running atf in rear axels today.

Old 07-05-12, 07:19 AM
Group Moderator
Yeah, my '93 Ford Tempo used ATF in the manual transmission it had as well.

My 2012 Fusion has a stick, now I need to go look up what it has....

Old 07-05-12, 07:29 AM
Group Moderator
75W-90 gear oil. ATF no more

Old 07-05-12, 07:56 AM
Got r drained n refilled. I drove around and warmed it up first. An easy operation for sure. Since I didn't have one of those fluid pumps, and the fill hole was on the side of the tranny, to refill, I stuck one end of a length of vinyl tubing in the fill hole and the other end onto a funnel situated in the open hood area and refilled it that way. Yep I'm a genius Thanks for the advice and comments here.

Old 07-05-12, 08:10 AM
Group Moderator
Sorry, misspelling genius disqualifies you as one

Sorry, couldn't resist. Anyway, thanks for the update.

Old 07-05-12, 08:31 AM
Hmm. After extensive research, I see that it is apparently often misspelt one way or the other, and as well often pointed out to those who apparently misspelt it: Urban Dictionary: genious

Old 07-05-12, 12:45 PM
The tubing to the engine bay works better than most of the fluid pumps I've every used. They usually leak some place. I started doing the tube into the engine bay too even though I have at least 2 of those pumps some place around my garage. Glad to hear it worked!

Old 07-05-12, 01:15 PM
Yeah I was pretty sure I had one of those fluid pumps some place in my shed, but couldn't find it. I think the actual owner might have "borrowed" it back. So I went the tube/funnel/non-leak/genius route.