Poor gas mileage for 2012 Honda Accord

Old 07-02-12, 06:37 AM
Poor gas mileage for 2012 Honda Accord

I would like to hear from Honda experts. I have relatively new 2012 Honda Accord with 4 cyl 177 HP engine.

From the beginning I thought gas mileage was poor. So I started to record some numbers and find that I am not even reaching the low average of the fuel mileage range posted on their website. And this includes some interstate driving. I am very familiar with Hondas and have always found gas mileage good so this is an unexpected disappointment. I intend to discuss this further with the dealer.

So what are the obvious areas that dealer should check to see that this Honda is not out of the norm? I have even thought of a gasoline leak but see no evidence or smell.

Other than this, car is great and typical high Honda quality.

I would appreciate those that read this thread and all replies.

Thx

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-12, 07:17 AM
Group Moderator
What did the sticker say and what kind of mileage are you getting?

I have a 4 cyl 175 hp Ford Fusion (six speed manual transmission) and I've averaged a little over 29 mpg for the nine months I've owned the car. I drive mostly around town but there was a long trip to the east coast on there last fall as well. AFAIK, you and I should be getting relatively similar mileage with similar driving.

Old 07-02-12, 06:37 PM
Up to 23 cty/34 hwy mpg

What exactly is that you get? Is it manual or auto?

Old 07-03-12, 04:11 AM
Although this may not be the case, it is handy to know how they get those sticker numbers.
Here is the US DMV testing schedules that generate these numbers. Keep in mind that these are generally obtained on a dyno (treadmill).
Name:  milageTests.jpg
Views: 15742
Size:  49.2 KB

The next thing to note, is your car setup for regular or premium fuel? Check your owner's manual as the sales guy may not know or be correct (they said my turbo was setup for regular, which it's not).

Finally, as others have asked, what are you getting for millage?

Old 07-04-12, 10:36 PM
With my Honda I typically get better than posted mileage when I drive sensibly. When I drive more aggressively or over 75mph on the interstate I notice my mileage drops by about 15-20%. Ease up on the drag racing and keep it around 70mph or less on the freeway??? Need more info on your driving habits and such.

Old 08-03-12, 06:50 AM
I continue to monitor my gas mileage and it continues to be very poor. Just filled up last nite.

346 miles-140 of those were easy interstate miles 65 miles/hr
16 gallons

That's less than 22 miles/gal

Clearly something is wrong.

I have not had my first oil change yet because according to oil life indicator, I am only at 50% life.

For the Honda experts, what are specific areas That dealer should check. I am quite disappointed in this.

I appreciate those that read this thread and any advice is much appreciated.

thx

Old 08-03-12, 07:00 AM
Group Moderator
Yeah, that's pretty lousy - my worst tank has been a little over 26 mpg with my best (all highway on trip) at a little over 34 mpg. I would expect you to be similar to me.

You're still under warranty on this car, right? I'd document your mileage and see what they have to say at the dealership.

Old 08-03-12, 07:35 AM
OP,
How many miles on your car?
In your first post, you mention it's a fairly new 2012, and in your post today, you mention you haven't done your first oil change.
Is this oil change the car's first?

Old 08-03-12, 07:56 AM
Accord SE was purchased new end of February. It has about 3900 miles.

Driven primarily by my wife who I can assure you her driving habits are quite conservative and careful and definitely not the cause of the poor mileage.

I think it is quite bizarre that even with these interstate trips, overall average mileage is not improved.

I have not opened up the hood but the mileage I am getting seems closer to a 6 cylinder model.

I was going to email the Honda service manager today but I was hoping to get some specific advice on what could be causing this issue.

I know my older Accord 1999 was around 155 HP, but with engine improvements, I was hoping to average in the high 20s but I am not even close. On the 99 even at over 13 yrs of age, I was getting around 30 MPG in town, mid 30s on trips. I am certainly not a car expert but I know a little about Hondas and what to expect. This was my 6th Honda, 5 Accords, 1 Civic.

Appreciate any advice.

thx

Old 08-03-12, 08:03 AM
Group Moderator
Open the hood and confirm you have a four cylinder engine and then take it in - it's a new car under warranty.

Old 08-03-12, 08:16 AM
No troubleshooting ideas?

I believe this car has a 5 speed AT. How can I tell if I am in 5th gear which I assume is the best for fuel efficiency.

thx

Old 08-03-12, 08:19 AM
One thing to note, which may or may not justify the millage you are seeing is the brake in period. Most newer vehicles run pig rich for the first oil change or so. Millage will not be great during that time.
My dad's truck got better fuel millage once he finally finished the breakin period (he doesn't drive it often).

Old 08-03-12, 08:34 AM
Group Moderator
Why are you worried about troubleshooting when the car is under warranty? Take it in and let the techs deal with it.

Old 08-03-12, 08:37 AM
Not meaning to disagree but I have always gotten good mileage with all previous Hondas when I left the dealer's parking lot on date of purchase.

Old 08-03-12, 08:43 AM
Group Moderator
I've only owned one new Honda and did not see any issue with initial mileage, nor have I seen it on any other make of car so I agree with your thoughts on that.

Old 08-03-12, 11:12 AM
Are you always buying from the same gas station and same fuel type? No chance of you using a alcohol blend? Have you tried different gas stations over the past 3900 miles and checked the mileage? What story is the dealer service counter telling you? That should be your first contact point. What are they seeing on that model from other customers for example?

Old 08-04-12, 04:31 AM
I was hoping to get some specific troubleshooting ideas from experts who know Hondas.

Yesterday afternoon, I did speak to the dealer's service manager who I have known many years and who should have good experience.

He mentioned weather conditions, correct tire pressure, and driver habits. I agree that those could be factors on the margin but continue to think my issue is specifically Honda related to this car. The question of fuel mixture ration was raised.

Any other ideas?

All previous Honda cars that i have owned have been right on the button as far the Hondas published numbers regarding fuel consumption. This specific car is
not.

I reject the idea that this might be a break in issue as previous Hondas MPG were on the money when leaving dealer lot on date of purchase.

Don't mean to beat a dead horse but this is not only puzzling but will be expensive over the life of the car.

Old 08-04-12, 04:59 AM
Group Moderator
Have never owned a Honda, so I can't give you any Honda-expert advice, but I will say that if our car got that kind of mileage I would be standing in the dealership's doorway on a regular basis until I got an answer (wife drives an '01 Camry 4 cylinder, very similar except the age; she routinely gets 25 around town and 32 highway. On your test fillup distance I would have expected 28-30 at least). Any chance you can take a long distance, all-freeway speed trip? I would be curious to see what your real-world highway mileage is.

Old 08-05-12, 07:26 AM
Still have hopes on getting some troubleshooting ideas from Honda experts.

I do plan an all interstate trip sometime this month.

thx

Old 08-05-12, 12:29 PM
Tiger, you didn't even care to pop hood open and look if you have a four, or six cylinder engine. Yet, you stubbornly keep soliciting "expert advice" while giving no basic information back to forum.
Folks told you - start with figuring the basic items, and your mpg does look like V6 one. 2ndly, group mod told you to get your dealer by his neck and have THEM figure it out, as that's what you paid them for. But you have your opinions and just keep pressing for "guesses".
I think, you need to do some simple legwork before reposting here.
And yes, I owned a brand new Honda, and mpg was way below advertised, until we passed 45 000 miles and engine broke in. We owned several Hondas and Toyotas, and they all have break in period, and quite substantial.
Even with that, your mpg is not that far off from advertised. Far off is getting 50%, as what they advertise is "up to". So you happen to be on the bottom end of it. So what? Told you, it ain't no Civic, Accords never were great on mpg, too heavy.

Old 08-05-12, 01:36 PM
ukrbyk

I did check both dealer invoice and under the hood to verify it is indeed a 4 cyl engine.

What kind of basic information would you like?

I do intend to visit dealer but again I wanted some ideas from Honda pros as to what to check for.

I reject the idea of a break-in period as this has not been my experience with 5 previous Hondas.

My average MPG was below even the minimum published number for city driving at last fill up and that even included 140 miles of interstate driving.

TD

Old 08-05-12, 04:47 PM
Group Moderator
Let's keep it civil here, folks.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most car makers have regional service reps that you can talk to if your dealership either gets stumped or doesn't want to deal with your issue?

Old 08-07-12, 04:27 AM
the_tow_guy,
Most do have regional reps.
Simply call the customer number for Honda US and they will probably put you in touch with your regional rep.

Old 08-25-13, 01:41 PM
Post Honda Accord 4cyl gas mileage

I just brought my first Honda Accord it is a 2011 4 cyl. automatic. It has 40k miles on it. Been reading about the guy getting bad mileage & I haven't used but about 1/2 tank of gas & have got 280 miles on it so far. Guessing it is a 16 gallon tank that 8 gallons of gas 1/2 tank. That is over 34mpg. So I am very happy. It sounds like gas & air mix might need adjusted to get better mileage, I would have dealer check it out.

Old 08-25-13, 04:15 PM
You guys arent telling the poster what he wants to hear. I dont think he trusts his dealer for one thing. Yes some cars require some break in time,I dont care if you had a thousand that didnt. You never answered if you were buying gas at the same place.I had quite a problem with this one time the pump wasnt delivering the full amount. As for contacting a regional rep. good luck. Most I ever delt with had a standard responce "We have never ran into that before,if you figure it out let us know what it was"Sooo do a good milage check fill the vehicle drivemost of the fuel out then fill it again.Devide the gallons in to the miles driven. Dont go by the gauge they are only an indicator. Then if this figure is low take this info to your dealer. We can only speculate here they can test things.

Old 08-26-13, 06:33 AM
Just contact the dealer, if you arn't happy with one then try another. If you don't get satisfaction in that contact Honda north America. They deal with these types of things all the time. Sometimes it's the car and sometimes it's the cars owner but in either case the factory is the only logical avenue as the car is both in warranty and has a federally controlled emissions engine management system.

Old 08-26-13, 11:24 AM
I did this post without having a owner's manual. But checked it out on line my gas tank is 18.5 so my average so far is 31 mpg. My mistake for not knowing size of tank before hand.

Old 08-26-13, 03:12 PM
To Honda man if you are using the gauge to figure milage you are on a fools errand. I have seen gauges set on full for many miles before they moved.

Old 08-27-13, 10:23 AM
Group Moderator
I don't think you can rely on any information the car provides - I've been tracking my mileage on a spreadsheet since my first fill up and my car consistently tells me I'm getting 2.1 mpg more than I actually am getting.

Old 08-27-13, 04:31 PM
This is a 2012 car, it is an American version I presume so it has the most advanced diagnostic system in the world. That being said there will be a check engine light glowing on the dash if there is something out of sorts with the engine management system. A trip to a dealership for a diagnostic scanner being connected will in fact tell everything there is to know or imagine is going on with this vehicle. I was with the Mercedes Benz line until 08 and Honda has similar diagnostics so I can't imagine there are any mysteries in a late model Honda.