Sourcing converter fr CA emissions 2006 Saturn Ion. Federal emissions warranty?

Old 07-03-12, 09:39 AM
Sourcing converter fr CA emissions 2006 Saturn Ion. Federal emissions warranty?

I need to replace the front (converter) pipe on an 2006 Saturn Ion with the 2.2 engine. This is a California car that is here (in Wisconsin) for an unknown period of time. The problem with the pipe is that the flexjoint section is leaking.

The replacement front converter pipes that I have found all say "49 state legal". There are no additional part number(s) for CA models. Can I use one of these "49 state" pipes?

Also - I have read that there is a 10year manufacturers (GM/Saturn) warranty on emission parts. Would this pipe be covered as it is a welded assembly with the catalytic converter?

Thanks for any information regarding the Saturn.

Steve H.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-12, 10:00 AM
Group Moderator
Geez, where do you go to get warranty work done on a Saturn these days?

FWIW, I was in Texas once with a Minnesota car and could not get the right PCV valve for my car because the cold weather version I needed simply wasn't there. So, you just plain might not be able to buy the one you want outside of a state at least close to California.

Old 07-05-12, 11:02 AM
Just a follow up on this - The car came in this morning. The owner said that is was originally from Louisiana, and when he moved to California some parts were changed so that it passed Calif emissions standards. He did not know which parts were changed.

I called the local Chevy dealer and they said there were 9 different converters for this year/model. The Calif. emissions converter pipe was $605.

I pulled/removed the pipe from thecar and there was a part number stamped into the converter. I called Chevy again with the part # and they said the converter was for Federal emissions - "Tier 2".

I took a trip to NAPA and they had the federal emissions converter pipe in stock. $260.

Installed new pipe with new gaskets and all is good.

Steve H.

Old 07-05-12, 11:04 AM
Group Moderator
Cool - thanks for the update