aluminized? exhaust system

Old 07-05-12, 01:43 PM
aluminized? exhaust system

I'm thinking of replacing my stock exhaust on my 98 2.5L Ranger with an aftermarket cat-back system, either the Gibson 19714 or Gibson 619714 The former is aluminized steel and the latter is stainless steel. Of course the stainless is more spendy and will last longer but I'm wondering if the aluminized will be fine for me. Does anyone know if the stock system of my vehicle is of the aluminized material? Or is it probably not even aluminized? Any comments/advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-12, 01:54 PM
Group Moderator
OK, I have to show my ignorance and ask - what is aluminized? Is it like galvanized but with aluminum instead of zinc?

Old 07-05-12, 02:05 PM
Basically yeah, from my understanding. Steel coated with aluminum. Just wondering if that's the way it comes OEM. If so, my "alumiminized" stock system is rusty but has held up pretty good here in my location since 1998. Not falling apart or disintegrating yet anyway. A stainless system as compared to the aluminized is 100 bucks more.

Old 07-05-12, 07:36 PM
Old 07-05-12, 08:53 PM
Yeah I did a little more research and answered my own question. OEM exhaust material for my vehicle is stainless steel, and the stock muffler is aluminized. Aluminized steel can begin rusting out in 2-3 years in areas with harsh winters where road salts are used. 409 grade stainless steel which is typically used on OEM exhaust pipes typically won't start rusting too significantly even after 8-10 years in such conditions. Good grade stainless steel mufflers are made of 304 stainless.