New ways to separate people from their $

Old 07-07-12, 06:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 51 Posts
New ways to separate people from their $

Saw this in Car Talk's weekly column this morning and just had to mention it. A reader wrote in about their repair bill. They had a Honda (Passport, I think) that had lit up warning lights, so they had it towed in (good decision ). The repair facility got it fixed but on seeing the bill the customer noted they had been charged three times for scanner diagnostics; that is, they were charged $80 for a scan and it was done three times in the course of the repair work. The excuse was that it was a complex problem which required more that one scan. The Car Talk guys opined that it was certainly proper to charge for the LABOR TIME involved for DOING the scan, but it was a bit unreasonable to charge the actual scan fee more than once. I won't mention what kind of repair facility this was, but I would hate to see what the grand total came to.

I have GOT to come up with one of these scams for overcharging customers that I can use in the towing business!!!

Old 07-07-12, 06:52 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 359 Votes on 316 Posts
Back when I was in high school there was a corner gas station that ran a special on taking your old carbon out and replacing it with new

TG, maybe you can itemize your bill and charge for each time your fingers touched the levers

Old 07-07-12, 09:55 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hence the name "stealership." They charge some place between $90-$100 to scan a car at my local stealership. After laughing at them I went to a local auto place and bought my own OBDII reader which, I found out, won't reset airbag lights. Thankfully a paper clip and Google will!

Old 07-07-12, 11:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
There are certain things OBDII can't handle, and ABS is one of them. I mentioned in another post that I took my Cummins Ram to have the new ABS module "married" to my VIN. Had to wait about 30 minutes and they came to get me to tell me they couldn't do it. $40 later I was still stumped, but they performed a scan, so I felt I should pay, BUT, if they knew they couldn't do it in the first place, why try?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: