1999 Dodge Grand Caravan SE - 3.3L - Upstream Oxygen Sensor

Old 07-08-12, 03:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1999 Dodge Grand Caravan SE - 3.3L - Upstream Oxygen Sensor

P0134 - O2 Sensor CKT. No Activity (Bank 1 - Sensor 1);

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/pa...#ixzz2016byJw8

MAJOR UPDATE:

Van is almost ready for inspection. When the EGR was replaced it appeared that we were home free. Not so. That SERVICE ENGINE light kept coming back. Code P0134 gets erased and returns.

My neighbor insisted that the muffler was still deteriorating and needed to be replaced before we tackled the oxygen sensor. He was right. Despite not hearing the muffler, the putty patch was starting to go and when we took down the muffler we found it to be rusted through under the band that held it up. The replacement purchased did not fit without the matched tailpipe with resonator (almost twice the price of the muffler) and a new band to hold it up (the original did not fit). I do not know if the replacements were OE or OEM but it would have taken a muffler shop's tools to make bends needed in order to avoid replacing the otherwise good tailpipe.

That pesky SERVICE ENGINE light still returned. I read that the code P0134 tells us that the EGR does not detect the Upstream Oxygen Sensor. I have done considerable research and inspection. The sensor is located where, unless our arms are "as long as a monkey's and as tiny as a midget's" we can forget about getting to the sensor from above. We need, however, disconnect the wiring plug from above before going underneath to try and loosen the sensor. I still cannot determine where the wires from this sensor connect to the van's monitoring system.

A little here please.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-12, 05:56 AM
Update

I have a mechanic to do the oxygen sensor replacement. He wants me the get the sensor I want.

I have no idea about the reputations of the various brands and the models within brands.

This makes Internet shopping a nightmare.

I have found that local stores list many brands & models but tend to have only one choice available. Other brands and models require special order. Unlike with wiper arms, I am not going to intentionally purchase oxygen sensors used.

I need making a decision now.

Old 08-02-12, 08:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 30 Posts
I generally use Bosch.

Old 08-11-12, 02:21 AM
The summary and conclusion

If you have instructions better than provided in Haynes Manual 30011 you are lucky.

http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs/DCP/PDF/327001.pdf was - in my viewing - inferior to http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/DCP-Wiring.pdf

I found no help for the issue at Radio Shack

The Best Buy associate was correct. The radio that I pulled from my 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan was useful only for show & NO LONGER for go.

Shopping via the internet would not have been worthwhile. I tried and learned only that I had put in too much wasted time and effort.

Since I have not tried, I reserve comment about a DIM attempt at repair until I have time. That will have to wait on the bottom of my priority list.

My local searching was seriously time consuming but educational.

One salvage yard operator told me that my van's standard wiring works even for a radio/cassett +++ but the
http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/DCP-Wiring.pdf must be a match

In 2001 the Dodge Grand Caravan bezel was changed. The Hyde Park salvage yard employee initially presented ro me the wrong radio for my van to me. As to using the pick and pull myself option, the yard's selection of DIY's had already been pretty much stripped. The heat and sun during my visit nearly claimed me.

The first pulled by employee unit looked similar to but was significantly different from my P04858556AD. That difference proved that the vehicle it came from was a 2002 2001 - 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan Bezel Removal - YouTube . With my P04858556AD on the counter, a unit that matched but with a different part number was provided for me to attach inside my van.

All systems are GO!!! - FINAL PRICE - ~$37.00 + time & health wasted trying to DYM in the graveyard