90' Dodge Daytona - no fuel to the carb

Old 07-09-12, 10:26 AM
90' Dodge Daytona - no fuel to the carb

I have a 90' Dodge Daytona which is getting no fuel to the carburretor. I have replaced feul pump with a electronic fuel pump, and new fuel filter. I'm getting fuel to fuel filter but no fuel to the carburetor. I was thinking about bypassing the fuel filter and run a straight fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb without filter to see if it runs. Any suggestions? Thank you, Rob.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-12, 04:36 PM
Just to clarify, are you talking about no fuel coming out of the pipe where it connects to the carb, or there is no fuel going into the carb bowl. If you are getting fuel out of the pipe where it connects, then you are talking about a carb problem involving the float and or a sticking needle. Also is there a flow direction for the filter if there is no fuel at the carb connector pipe end.

Old 07-13-12, 05:17 AM
Unhappy No fuel to the carb

RE : equinox
Just to clarify, are you talking about no fuel coming out of the pipe where it connects to the carb, or there is no fuel going into the carb bowl.
I ran a new fuel line from the line coming from the fuel tank to the one going to the carb and bypassed the original fuel filter to see if I am getting any fuel and I am but now I have no spark. I was told to check the fault codes but not sure what those are .

Old 07-13-12, 06:26 AM
Since you have pretty much an old school ignition system, did you first check that the coil is getting power in. Next is the distributor, meaning cap, rotor, and depending, either points and condenser(probably not) or ignition module. Check for power into the coil first and let us know. If no power in it could be something as simple as a fuse, or broken connection in a harness. Back in the good old days I remember 'hot wiring' a 289 Ford with a jumper wire from the battery to the coil, but that is a 15 year old teenager Friday night story when mom and dad went out for the night and so did I. It sounds also that you have some kind of blockage in your fuel supply line from the tank considering the bypass worked. You might try to blow out the line with the filter removed of course. If their is in fact debris in the fuel supply line then you need to consider what caused that, meaning dirt in the bottom of the tank.

Old 07-14-12, 06:07 PM
Hi equinox, I tried the jumper advice and it did work. So that tells me I have power to the coil but no spark. I checked with the guys at allpar and they said I might have a broken timing belt or the hall effect is bad in the distributor. What's your opinion? You know the old saying " Two opinions are better than one ".

Old 07-16-12, 03:46 PM
Did you pull the distributor cap and crank the motor to see if the rotor is turning? We seem to have gone from fuel delivery to basic spark delivery, and now to possible cam issues. How did you test for spark to the plugs?

Old 07-17-12, 04:28 PM
Yes rotor was turning but I took off the timing belt cover and the belt was not broken. I used a screwdriver to the valve cover and had my wife crank the motor until I saw spark but that didn't happen of course. I am clueless!

Old 07-18-12, 06:28 PM
It sounds like it could be your ignition distributor pickup assembly/module. This is what replaced breaker points as things moved toward electronic ignitions.

Old 07-18-12, 06:43 PM
Are you referring to the hall effect sensor in the distributor under the rotor button? I took the cap off and the sensor was very loose in the distributor. I wish that this car had points! ( much cheaper ). The hall effect is around $80 bucks and a new distributor is $125. I might just by a new distributor and get rid of the car

Old 07-19-12, 03:22 PM
That's what I was referring to based on what you have said, and checked out so far. Pretty much all that is left unless there is something going on with your ignition switch when you move it to start position. My guess is still the pickup. Let us know how you make out.

Old 07-21-12, 04:44 AM
Hall Effect Sensor it was I believe because it's running like a new vehicle and cranks every time I start it now. The bad thing is I sold the car now I got it running, thanks for all of your help and advice equinox