starting issue help!

Old 07-11-12, 04:54 AM
starting issue help!

Hi all,

Need some troubleshooting help on my vehicle. I have a 2002 Pt cruiser with 35,000 miles. HAve had no issue starting the vehicle up until 3 days ago. prior to this I went on vacation and the car sat for a week without being started. When I got back I started the vehicle fine ( no issues ) and went to work. About 5 hours later at lunch I went to start vehicle and all there was was a click under front end ( probably the solenoid) tried it a half dozen times and nothing, just clicks - lights radio worked fine. hooked up jumper cables form a friends car and vehicle started fine. Over the next couple days started the vehicle probably half dozen times going places with no issue, chalked it up to dead battery or I left my lights on. Got in the car this morning , turned the key and only a click again. tried it 3 or 4 times and finally it turned over no problem and drove to work fine. Got to work and started it 3 or 4 times again no issues. Then went to start it again and there was a click and nothing. Tried it again and this time it started fine. Started it another half dozen times and it started fine. This is going to be a an annoying issue as I am dreading going to start it later. Any idea where to start with troubleshooting on this. BAttery is about 3 years old. I was going to start by taking it to Advance auto parts because they have free diagnostics testing for starting system. Thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-12, 05:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd remove and clean the battery cables at both ends to make sure you're getting a good connection.

Old 07-11-12, 05:23 AM
When you say both ends I am assumming you mean both pos. and neg. cable ends at the battery and also at the starter itself as opposed to just at the battery. Thx

Old 07-11-12, 05:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, both positive and negative at both ends of the cables.

Old 07-12-12, 07:09 PM
he means both cable terminals and battery posts.
after done cleaning with $1 worth tool, set cable terminals all the way down to the battery plastic, so that there is no gap, THEn tighten the clamping bolt.
Spray over with battery sealant. Purple stuff.

Be happy.