A Trailer and Hitch on a Sedan- How Hard is this to do Yourself?

Old 07-11-12, 08:40 AM
A Trailer and Hitch on a Sedan- How Hard is this to do Yourself?

I am thinking of purchasing a trailer. I have a 4 door Honda Accord. There are times when I purchase large items, and I don't want to go through the hassle of asking a friend or neighbor to borrow their SUV or pick up truck in order to transport the item. I don't want a SUV or pick-up truck as my sole vehicle.
Due to the type of auto insurance I have, I can't rent a truck from the Home Depot.

My question is this- how hard is it to install a hitch on my Honda Accord? If I can't handle this myself, then where could I get it done and about how much would it cost?

Thank you for your advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-12, 08:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most any place that sells trailers will also sell and install hitches, some U-Haul stores too.

I have no idea how a hitch is mounted to a front wheel drive vehicle that doesn't have a frame.

Old 07-11-12, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator
First thing is to find out if it can even be done. Reese ( a big maker of hitches) doesn't list anything for any Honda cars...just the minivans and SUVs.

Drawtite lists one (I used 2007 since we don't know the year of yours)...all bolt on, no drilling unless you have a V-6....but you have to lower the exhaust system temporarily..

Hitch Selector - Draw-Tite

Old 07-11-12, 09:33 AM
Thank you. I should have noted that the Honda Accord is a 4 door and it is a V6.

Old 07-11-12, 10:06 AM
They make hitches for most vehicles as a lot of people use them for bike carriers and what not.
All the ones I have seen or helped install have been direct bolt-ons. The wiring for the lights is where you may have some fun.

One suggestion I would make is find out what your vehicle is recommended to tow. Most cases, it's 1500lb or less with small sadans. Just remember, it's not about having the power to get it moving, it's about having the weight and brakes to stop that matters. That is why I would strongly suggest watching what you tow and make sure you don't exceed the car's suggested abilities.

Old 07-11-12, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the tip regarding the weight. In the last few months, I have needed to transport things like a snow blower, a generator, a glass table cover, multiple rolls of insulation, large bushes, etc. Those are the types of things I would use the trailer for.

Old 07-11-12, 10:51 AM
Group Moderator
That makes sense - they're big and therefore won't fit in the car but they're not heavy so a light utility trailer behind your car could do the job and your car shouldn't have issues with that.

Old 07-11-12, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator
Good advice Mike...

My brother bought a small bare trailer frame kit then added the sides and floor.....but he used 2 x 6 on everything. Turned out pretty heavy. His tow vehicle? A 71 Pinto...all 2000lbs and 100HP of it.

First time he took it on the freeway just to get to the next exit, on a downhill it started fishtailing and whipping around so bad, it smashed up the sides of the trailer and both rear corners of the Pinto before he could get stopped. I think that's when he bought the 454 ElCamino. What a sweet truck that was.

Old 07-11-12, 11:22 AM
I'm not sure if I would consider an ElCamino as a truck, but I would agree 100% that it is sweet.

To the OP... You should be fine with what you are looking to carry. I've had that fun of owning a sadan only and ya, not much fits in them.
The only reason I mention that was that I had seen someone in the same situation as yourself, turn around and try hauling a couple patio stongs (2'x2' concrete). Even 4 at a time still made stopping rough.

Old 07-11-12, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator
It had a bed.....it was a truck. Or a Cowboy Cadillac. My Dad hauled a 2 horse trailer with a '65 El Camino for many years.

OK, enuf off topic....I should know better.

Old 07-11-12, 12:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Trailer hitch.......hmmmm....Oh those cute little balls behind trucks and cars. I was wondering where you would mount a gooseneck on a Honda Right in the middle of the roof!!
User987, just be careful with the weight and balance of the load and you should be fine. Good luck with the search.