Choice of lift type

Old 07-16-12, 10:04 AM
Choice of lift type

OK, folks, me again.

I'll have some $$ in few weeks that I can dedicate to buying a car lift.

The way it goes, I shall have to have it installed outside; maybe have a port over it or something later on. I am pretty positive, if I grease the hell out of moving parts, be awright. If all goes well, I may have something constructed over it later.

But, here's my question.

The way it is, it will have to be in a two trucks wide passage on the house side. I use that passage for minor car repairs and such, and drive my mower through. Hence, I do not really want to block it. Also, will be close to electrical panels for hook up.

Question is:

what do you feel is better choice - two post, four post, or scissor lift? With four post prolly being best safe bet, but two taking least space and scissor ( most $$) being able to move it if so needed plus, no need for concrete work for posts. Then again, scissor will block access to some areas with hydraulics and ramps, four poster will have to be more expensive to have optional hydraulic jacks added and more concrete work, and two poster least space taking and least concrete work needed.

No, will prolly not be using it on anything heavy, maybe up to a midsize SUV. Safety and not really getting in our ways is the concern. Already had earful from wife about looks, but she also gets that I can not do much laying underneath the car on concrete floor anymore.

So, what say you?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-12, 02:47 PM
I'd probably strongly consider the scissor lift. You're still getting plenty of access for most repair work (brake and tire service, exaust, oil, transmission, driveline), even with the hydraulics and ramps. Plus the portability might be welcome should the need arise to move it completely out of the way, or someday if you were to want to relocate, or maybe sell it. As you mentioned, with the scissor there wouldn't be much prep work to worry about unless you really don't mind having to get involved dealing with the probable excavation/concrete work in addition (if you chose a posted lift). The scissor lift would be basically ready to go once you got it. But if you're not at all concerned about the installation being "permanent" and having to do the concrete work, I'd think having a two post lift would be nice because it could save you that much space (compared to the four-post) you might wish you had otherwise, if not now maybe eventually. Appearance-wise, out of the three options, I think perhaps a two-post lift might look "cleanest". Good luck.

Old 07-16-12, 03:50 PM
Thanks, man.

Yeah, for household use, scissor lift has some advantages. Except that for what I need and as tall as I am, this one is about the only choice:

BendPak SP-7X 7,000-lb. Capacity, Scissors, Frame Engaging

But it's almost twice as much as a two poster. Guess, it all goes down to how much it'll cost me for concrete work. I AM NOT digging myself, my soil is nothing but rocks. Then again, hmm, neighbor has buddy with a back hoe....

Old 07-16-12, 04:03 PM
That's a nice one, for sure. Kind of a shame they have to be so spendy. Although that one is "on sale".

If you do go decide to go with a posted lift, aren't you worried about going against the grain here if you don't do you own digging? After all, this is the "do-it-yourself" forum.

Old 07-16-12, 04:10 PM
I know. And I am DIY or die guy. But - that neighbor's fella with back hoe is awfully inexpensive, and I can mix concrete and pour it myself. My main problem will be getting mounting anchors right, I always mess things like that.
Reckon, it'll take me another thousand or so to have two poster set up. Still a grand less than buying that scissor, as they have nice 10 000 pounder two poster for $2600

Old 07-16-12, 05:06 PM
If you're pretty sure the guy with the back hoe can get the digging part done accomplished satisfactorily and at an inexpensive price, then it sounds like the next hurdle would be to get those mounting anchors right like you said. I'd say if you're up the challenge to get it right, go for it. A two-post lift would be awesome.

Old 07-16-12, 07:02 PM
Yeah, leaning towards 2 poster myself. Guy be awright.

Old 07-16-12, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator
My buddy put a two poster in. 6" thick cement slab. Was pricey. After cement cured he set the posts and marked drilled the holes with the posts in place.

Drilled down all the way through the slab to dirt. Used concrete anchor bolts. If one ever snaps you just hammer that one down through the slab and install another on top of it. Hence the reason for drilling through.

You may already know this but heck, I felt the need to type.

Old 07-16-12, 09:07 PM
Thanks, brother. Appreciated. I am inclined to make a template and set bolts into concrete while it's still raw. Have no idea why, just a hunch. But I see the point.
I am blessed having a new neighbor, who
1. happens to be same first name
2. is from area of the Ukraine my wife is from
3. is a pro car painter
4. has buddies that are into all kinds of blue collar trades, so we can have everything and for low $$.
Blessed.

Old 07-16-12, 09:12 PM
6 INCHES? or six FEET? six inches sounds awfully not enough, six feet sounds awfully too much. what's the final word? I thought like three feet, deep, and maybe 5x2 feet. For stability. Maybe even run post to post footer, to make it H shaped and solid. Rent mixer... Have guy who can deliver gravel for good price..

Old 07-16-12, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator
6 inches!!! ( 6 ft LOL) But its a slab as long as a car and a few ft wider then where the posts set. Drive the car right on the slab. 18x12? cant remember.

You know engineering? Larger slab better weight transfer overall!!!! Like standing on thin ice. Stand on a board you will not fall through. Stand with your feet, in you go.

Hmm I don't know about individual slabs for the post. There are leveling issues too I believe and it cant be too far out of whack from what I remember.

I am inclined to make a template and set bolts into concrete while it's still raw.
Oh yeah? What are you going to do when a bolt snaps? And they will over time. One here or there. Just the constant pulling of the towers with a 3 ton vehicles going up and down and jerking all the time.

Even when I worked with my industrial engineer friend helping him install giant sugar hoppers this is what he does with the bolts.

Like this. ( Bolts snap all the time)

OK. I am just bringing it to your attention.

Old 07-17-12, 08:31 AM
I get it, Mike. In my case, I do not want solid slab underneath. Plus, pouring such a slab will be cost prohibitive and, where I have to do this, I have irrigation line crossing driveway and who knows what else, as I know for sure, I have at least one power line going somewhere that way.
With that being said, whichever way I look at it, considering that we will be at the place maybe 10 more years, scissor lift prolly will be more cost efficient and functional option, considering overall expense. 7 000 lb should be plenty for what I need. Not sure how heavy my Silverado is, but I plan on selling it some time this year anyway.
Oh, it's only 4442 lbs. Well, last thing is getting this past mi esposa....

Old 07-17-12, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator
Just a note....

Shop I went to had a portable scissor lift that I thought was very cool, had never seen one. Asked him how much it cost. He said about $2500 new but he got it for $1000 from a shop that closed. Of course it had to sit on a solid surface.

Old 07-17-12, 12:42 PM
Ars longa, vita brevis est, Vic. At least some things last.

I had Benwil two poster offered off craigslist for $1000. Except that Benwil is out of biz since mid 90s...
That lift prolly was low raise and not 7 0000 lbs. I happen to be TALL. But I have WTB ad posted on Seattle craigslist, maybe something will poke through.
I live backed up by abandoned county gravel pit. Driveway I have in mind is solid packed small rough gravel. That's why I do not really want to cover it, as in case of spills, well, you got it... It's like sift. It'll hold flat lift pads just fine though.Plus, I can toss some boards or laminate underneath. Still better than excavations.
I do know best is to find used and buy. Then again, life depends on that thing. New is new.

Old 07-17-12, 12:51 PM
hmmm... getting better:

Atlas SLP-7K Full Rise Scissor Lift

Old 07-17-12, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah I would be looking at this and save your money.

I would talk him down to $800
Hoist

If still have this one I would offer $1900. Probably no one wants to break it down.

Professional vehicle overhead lift - 9000lb capacity

Oh here you go!!!!
4 post 12K lb. car hoist

And here!!!
10K 2 post Car Hoist Commercial Grade ETL/ALI Certified

One more for good measure.

10K 2 post Car Hoist Commercial Grade ROTARY lift

Myself I like the $800 dollar one. If it gets my back off the ground its good enough for me. I dont like to spend money.

Old 07-17-12, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator
ukrbyk....that's not the type I saw. His was more of a giant floor jack, but of course it had arms that extended out for stability. Might have restricted under car access somewhat...think he used it just for oil changes and brake, axle, etc, type work.

Guess it all depends on your requirements

Mike...that looks like something the guy built...don't think I'd trust my noggin under that!

Old 07-17-12, 04:20 PM
Ohh, you guys are so cool. Thanks for help.
Yeah, it's not just that it's home made, but it also lifts only up to my private parts level. So it's not much help. I can do same with jackstands.
I think, I'll go with that one for $3500 scissor lift. I seriously am not into excavations and concreting, as it will likely reduce property value overall. That lift - height is right, price is right, load capacity is right, and no concrete necessary.
Need to refurbish my 95 Eclipse, sell it, add some $$ and will buy it.

Old 07-17-12, 05:17 PM
Seems like a good overall choice, good features and quality, decent price, ready to use. You wouldn't regret it.

Old 07-17-12, 06:59 PM
My knees will love it. You guys are great help!!

Old 07-18-12, 04:13 PM
looksie what i FOUND:

MSC-6K Mobile Single Column Lift | North American Auto Equipment

That almost fits any requirement( a little bit shy on lifting capacity) but I can use it inside and outside ( I have thick slab in front of garage) and stow it off to the side, covered.
They can be found for $2500 plus shipping. Rent small forklift to unload, and that's it.

Old 07-18-12, 04:31 PM
Okay, now I want a lift too. Like that one.

Old 07-18-12, 04:36 PM
That's pretty darn useful thing. They also have one with flat ramps and work "bench" between them, same capacity, $2600 plus shipping.
I went through garage forum, everyone says that worst hassle is to unload those things. Some guy said - he rented a fork lift for $200 and that was it. You save a lot on shipping costs, if you provide your own forklift.

Old 07-20-12, 08:52 PM
OK, best price so far:

Portable Car Lifts by Workhorse

Free Shipping On All Orders
Suggested Retail Price - $4535
Our Regular Price - $3190
Our Sale Price $2797
FREE SHIPPING*

S&H FREE to a business address in the continental US (lower 48).
Customer responsible for unloading from delivery truck on truck freight shipments.
Add $40 if shipping to a residence (truck freight shipments only).
CT residents, add state sales tax.
Please see our TERMS page for terms and conditions

All I need to do is to find

1. fork lift rental

or

2. rent 2 tone engine hoist tall enough to pick it up off carrier truck. It's 2100 lbs total weight.