fuel filter dirt

Old 07-16-12, 11:58 AM
fuel filter dirt

I just changed the in-line fuel filter on my '98 Ranger. It's the first time it's ever been changed and the vehicle has 98,000 miles on it, so of course way past due. I hadn't been experiencing any noticeable performance problems, but just decided I'd better change it before waiting any longer. After removing the filter and tipping it while draining it into a container with the inlet side down, the fuel that ran out of it was dark brown dirty nasty dirty. So I was wondering if that's fine, the filter was just doing it's job or whether there's a good possibility by this point a considerable amount of micro particles of dirt have made their way past the filter to the fuel injectors to the extent where I should do something like use some fuel injector cleaner in the fuel system or even go to the trouble to pull the injectors and inspect/clean or replace them. Like I mentioned, to this point there has been no noticeable engine performance problems. Comments/advice? thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-12, 12:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've changed out fuel filters that ranged from clean to nasty fuel when poured out. I wouldn't be overly concerned about it especially since you're not having any fuel issues.

Old 07-16-12, 12:14 PM
Good to hear. Thanks marksr for the reply.