Cel

Old 07-26-12, 02:11 PM
Cel

I know it's unfair question, but anyone has a quick and dirty how to physically kill CEL in the dash without taking cluster out?

On the good side, it's a nuisance, as vehicle passes emissions flying colors and drives fine. Darn light is caused by one of the 95 Dodge valves, basically, a plastic box that is supposed to remove water vapor from exhaust. That thing looks like 15 bucks and costs $457 pre-tax. And I have to sell the car. That's my car lift $$ there.

Yes, I know, put piece of tape over it. Been sitting with battery disconnected, but that does not clear the light. And it being 95, I can't go in and clear it with OBD2 scanner. :NO NO NO:

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-12, 04:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You'd have to go to the schematics and find out which wire went to the CEL bulb and cut it, taping the end. Don't cut the red wire

Old 07-26-12, 07:27 PM
isn't it always green? Might as well pull cluster out, it's not that bad. Hoped there's a laser or ultrasound ray gun...

Old 07-27-12, 04:56 AM
What model of Dodge is this vehicle?
Removing the CEL is easy, but you might be setting yourself up for trouble if you are doing so to sell it.

Most, if not all Dodge vehicles from that time where simple 12V light bulbs. The neon's has 4 security bits (torque bit with a pin in the center). The lights in the gauge cluster had lettering beside each bulb that indicated what it was. If the gauge cluster doesn't have the lettering, simply look at where the CEL is located while in the dash, and remove that bulb.

Again, I would strongly suggest not doing this to sell as it could very well bite you after the fact. Might be worth finding the proper part (aftermarket or scrap yard) and simply sell the vehicle with the part in the trunk.

Old 07-27-12, 09:16 AM
it's not Dodge, it's DSM Eclipse wit bunch of Dodge star parts in it. Just had to be made before June 95, as after, they changed design and discontinued darn valve completely. It sorta is a rarity, I tried national search on it, no one has it; junkers either.
What they gonna do - beat me up? I know it's tacky, but worse things done daily. At least, I have honestly replaced every beat up suspension piece with a new oneand, overall, car runs very well. Those are good cars, third one we have, all run well into over 200 000 miles.
Have battery completely disconnected, maybe that'll do it.

Old 07-27-12, 10:07 AM
Touch the battery cables together before connecting it to the battery. That might help.

A quick search indicates there are tons of aftermarket parts for this particular car (turboed). What valve is it that is the issue?
I am reasonably fimilar with turbo cars. There might be a simple aftermarket swappable part. Even an aftermarket washgate is less then $400.

Old 07-27-12, 06:39 PM
non-turbo. I did THOROUGH search for that part. Yes, do know cables trick.
This is the piece:

Does not look much like anything, right?

And this is where it sits:

I had it out several times, and every time it's full of water. As in - condensate from exhaust.

Old 07-29-12, 08:57 AM
OK, rruned to be, this 95 car is OBD2!!
Pulled code P0412 yesterday. Simply confirmed what I already new:
Pulsed Secondary Air Injection System, that's what that thing is called. Lets some air into cat during cold start ups.
So far, have that CEL reset with scanner.
Also, found fix for it:

Fixing the P0410-P0412 Code - Missing Pulsed Secondary Air Injection System
To fix this P0410-P0412 aka, Secondary Air Injection System.
There is a simple trick.

I had my system removed from my 95 GS and I hate CEL's.

The trick is to get a 5.5k Ohm resister, Trim off the ends leaving about half and inch.

Next, find the harness that would connect to the SAIS (Picture attached, Connector a-87), Plug it into the connector, Reset the ECU and Bam no more CEL

Of course, on picture attached, there's no telling where that plug actually is on the car, and he does not say what exactly he did with that resistor. I am assuming, I can simply buy a 5.5 resitor, disconnect it from that plastic valve, and plug resistor in to the connector. Why is it that creative folks never have good description skill?

Last edited by ukrbyk; 07-29-12 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-29-12, 09:20 AM
even better!!!

THERE WAS A RECALL ON THAT PART!!

http://www.mitsupartsworld.com/Eclip...l/emr99001.pdf

They, basically, disconnect and bypass it, plus reprogram ECM. Mitsu dealer, here I come!!

Gods bless Google!!

Old 07-30-12, 03:44 PM
Happy too soon. Called two dealerships - both deny repair based on "there is no recall under your VIN".
Called Mitsubishi USA - they can't even find that recall in their system (Noted be it, Mitsubishi went to new computer system several years ago, loosing a lot of info on older cars)

So, here's the thing. Recall clearly says : all 1995 Eclipse with 420A engine, manual transmission. ALL. Mentions those in 2 places. Mine is just exactly that - 2.0L, manual, 420A engine, 95 Eclipse.

I'll go there in person, I want to look into their eyes, when they will tell me "all" is not all-inclusive for my car.

Old 07-30-12, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator
Try finding a place that uses AllData.....I had the same issue with my POS Dodge truck. Dealer couldn't find any info. Went to a shop, explained the issue...he printed me out the entire thing. Surprise surprise...took that to the dealer and they said "ohhhhhhh ok that one".

I'll just about guarantee you will hear this. "Sir....your vehicle is 17 years old....and the recall is 14 yrs old. We can't get the parts, and we won't be reimbursed for the work even if we could".

Chrysler has changed hands...what...3 times since this car was built?

Any takers on the bet?

Old 07-30-12, 07:58 PM
Here's the REALLY funny thing. They do not have to replace any parts. All they have to do is to REMOVE part at fault, and reprogram computer so that it does not "see" it anymore. Mof, I offered them to have it disconnected myself - f----r told me he'll charge me $100 for reprogramming.
I have several copies of that recall printed. I'll go there next day or two, and ask them to look me straight into my eyes, when they will be telling me, that "all 2.0L 420A engines, manual transmission, 1995 Eclipse" do not cover my car.
Of course, there's always that pull the light bulb thing..

But it's question of PRINCIPLE.