Van radio/tape player p0858556ad not working

Old 08-01-12, 11:36 AM
Van radio/tape player p0858556ad not working

IT IS IN THE 1999 DODGE GRAND CARAVAN SE. IT HAS NOT FUNCTIONED SINCE MY SON-IN-LAW DELIVERED THE VAN TO ME IN LATE 2011. IT IS NOW ALMOST REMOVED. IT APPEARS THAT THE GROUNDING WIRE IS THE ONLY REMAINING OBSTACLE TO ITS REMOVAL.

Once removed, I will need to determine if the problem is the module or a faulty connection. I have been unable to find instructions on how to make that determination.

I have checked the external circuitry fuse. That fuse is intact. My househld electronics have internal fuses. Does this module also have one or more?

If the Haynes manal goes beyond providing instructions to switch out the module, I have not found them

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-12, 12:17 PM
I am not sure if you are looking for help in removing the old stereo or in taking it apart to fix it. If you ant to remove it, then this is a great link: http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs/DCP/PDF/327001.pdf

If you want to repair it, I think you are wasting your time. These caravans were hugely popular from that era so finding a working used radio should be cheap and and easy. Here is one on ebay for $20 delivered. 88-00 Dodge Caravan Dakota Ram Am Fm Radio Cassette P04858556AD * | eBay

My opinion is to be realistic about where you invest your time. For a rare or collectible item, I can see you trying to get it open to diagnose and repair. But for a radio from the most popular mini-van of its time? Not so much.

Old 08-02-12, 03:43 AM
Update

pjaffe reminded me that the help I seek requires knowing my intentions.

The P04858556AD is no longer connected to the ground wire. I opened the connector end and yanked. The connector turned out to be a single (not 2 piece ) unit. I will check the link to see if it could have made the job easier

The next bridge is: IS IT THE PROBLEM? I would hate to spend time or money repairing or replacing the radio only to find that the problem was elsewhere. Is there somewhere I can take the radio for testing before leaping to the repair or replace decision.

Old 08-02-12, 04:21 AM
Information missing

I checked http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs/DCP/PDF/327001.pdf.

There was nothing about the green ground wire. Only the woven grounding band. My radio's connections included both.

I would give that advice only 1 out of 5 stars as there was nothing not found in Haynes manual 30011.

Old 08-04-12, 08:16 AM
Update

I took the P4858556AD (CHRYSLER RADIO/CASSETTE PLAYER/CLOCK) to AutoZone where I learned that they DO NOT do bench testing on car radios.

A parts counter person suggested I try BEST BUY. I there learned that BENCH TESTING required a wiring harness compatible with the radio to be tested.

An improvised test resulted in my being told that the radio did not work.
I am sure that a home test can be developed after visiting http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/DCP-Wiring.pdf

i have to see what Radio Shack stocks

Old 08-06-12, 05:35 AM
Investgation result

pjaffe responded "These caravans were hugely popular from that era so finding a working used radio should be cheap and and easy. Here is one on ebay for $20 delivered. 88-00 Dodge Caravan Dakota Ram Am Fm Radio Cassette P04858556AD * | eBay" 08-01-12, 03:17 PM

that post was replaced by 88-00 Dodge Caravan Dakota Ram Am Fm Radio Cassette P04858556AD * | eBay

Although E-bay gives the seller a TOP rating, SEE
Discount OEM Radios Business Review in Williamson, GA - Central Georgia BBB

My best local result was ~$25 pulled by me or ~$50 pulled for me about 18 miles north of home by a business which BBB cannot find versus the E-bay seller. The 977+ distance from this seller is too much for me to gamble against Discount OEM Radios Business Review in Williamson, GA - Central Georgia BBB

Old 08-11-12, 01:25 AM
Summary & result

If you have instructions better than provided in Haynes Manual 30011 you are lucky.

http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs/DCP/PDF/327001.pdf was - in my viewing - inferior to http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/DCP-Wiring.pdf

I found no help for the issue at Radio Shack

The Best Buy associate was correct. The radio that I pulled from my 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan was useful only for show > not for go.

Shopping via the internet would not have been worthwhile.

Since I have not tried - I reserve comment about a DIM attempt until I have time but it will have to wait on the bottom of my priority list.

My local search was seriously time consuming but educational.

One salvage yard operator told my that my van's standard wiring works even for a radio/cassett +++ but the
http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/DCP-Wiring.pdf must be a match

In 2001 the Dodge Grand Caravan bezel was changed causing the salvage yard to initially present the wrong radio for me. As to using the pick and pull myself option, the yard's selection of DIY's had already been pretty much stripped. The heat and sun during my visit nearly claimed me.

The first pulled by employee unit looked similar to but was significantly different from my P04858556AD. That difference proved that the vehicle it came from was a 2002 2001 - 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan Bezel Removal - YouTube . With my P04858556AD on the counter, a unit that matched but with a different part number was provided for me to attach inside my van.

All systems are GO!!! - FINAL PRICE - ~$37.00 + time & health wasted trying to DYM in the graveyard

Search this Thread