2001 volvo s40 crank position sensor

Old 08-03-12, 08:47 AM
2001 volvo s40 crank position sensor

I have a 2001 Volvo s40 1.9T. I am needing to find the location of the crank position sensor. If anyone has a link to a diagram that would be great. Thanks for the help!!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-12, 07:53 PM
Hello,
The crank position sensor is located at the 12 o'clock position right where the transmission and engine bolt together. I don't have a picture of it for the S40 but it isn't too hard to find

Old 08-17-12, 01:39 AM
Is it on the top side or underneath?

Old 08-17-12, 03:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have a 2007 2.4, so I am not sure on the 2001, but the sensor sticks straight up and is held to the casing with a 10mm bolt and the harness has a plug on the end. Do you have a code or CEL showing up? what are your symptoms?

Old 08-17-12, 01:58 PM
I don't know what the code was. I had a friend who works at a garage that chked it for me and said that it was a problem with the crank position sensor. The symptom is that it has become very hard to start most of the time and sometimes won't start. When it does start it runs very rough and is hard to keep running.

Old 08-17-12, 02:58 PM
Well, have you located and replaced it yet??

Old 08-26-12, 06:19 PM
The 2.4 is a different engine, but the position is the same. It is on top (12 o'clock).

However, it isn't likely to be your problem. We don't have a lot of problems with those sensors, and it won't cause it to run rough. It can, however, cause a no-start.

Does it act up when it has been sitting, perhaps overnight? Do you know what trouble codes were stored?

Old 11-17-12, 01:06 PM
I just changed my CPS (CEL w/ code: 0336) with the help of this thread, so I came back to add some more tips.
It's on the driver side of the engine. Gotta move a cpl hoses to get at it. I needed a flashlight to see it (working outside on a bright day).
The wire goes to the top center of the firewall, under a cover.
Push up on the connector wire retainer to release the connector.
I wasted quite a bit of time trying to get the old sensor wire out of the tangle of wires and hoses - I ended up cutting the connector off the end and pulling the wire through. In hindsight; I should have installed the new one and made sure the car started before I cut the old one...

Old 11-17-12, 01:45 PM
Jimpl, welcome to the forums! Glad you were able to use the forum to help solve a problem, and thanks for returning with added information. I am sure it will be useful.