Cobalt Lower Control Arm Replacement

Old 08-04-12, 04:49 PM
Cobalt Lower Control Arm Replacement

2005 Chevy Cobalt 4cyl, lower control arm, single vertical bolt, 21mm rear bushing frame mounting.
Appears to be the factory weld broke on female threaded "metal", not a nut, not a speed nut, just a tapered piece of metal nearly inaccessable from center bottom of car. Single bolt of rear bushing on control arm just spins now, will not release? Another case of morons engineering cars! http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...nono.gifAnyone else have this problem.
I know of fords that have same problem, solve crappy weld problem with hole saw inside floor pan, & ford will sell a rubber plug for you to plug bottom of floor pan under carpet. arrrgh!, sons Cobalt, trying to help him out, I use to love chevys, can't buy GM anymore, just a sign of times.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-12, 12:18 PM
for starters, your link to pic is broken.
next, it is quite hard to understand what exactly is that you describing. Nuts are female, bolts are male, for reasons obvious.
female threaded "metal", not a nut, not a speed nut, just a tapered piece of metal??

read this:
| Repair Guides | Front Suspension | Lower Control Arms | AutoZone.com

Old 08-05-12, 09:23 PM
Tried to delete my post, realize no good fix

Ooops, tried to describe, its about a 5" X 5/8"dia. vertical mounted tapered bolt, threads into
boxed in piece of frame, whatever it threads into, the weld broke. Not a welded nut, but flat piece of metal, not a speed nut either. Its just very hard to put a finger inside the only side of boxed in place where this bolt threads into. For the life of me, I can't see why its made like that. Now the large bolt just spins, and will not un thread or reverse out of its mounting,, After thinking more about it last night, I wanted to delete this post, as I'm pretty sure there is no answer, but to cut large hole in body frame, (not going that route), or maybe take to mechanic's lift, & possibly torch off top of bolt, if acessable when vehicle on a regular lift in a bay.
Tonight I have replaced driver side lower control arm, about 3 hr job. Will get son to take to garage mechanic for passenger side & explain how rear mount bolt is not unscrewing & see what they run into..... again excuse me, got steamed & ranting yesterday, tried to see how to delete post, found nothing,,,,Thanks anyway! I believe I realize now, no good fix on this one.

Old 08-06-12, 04:35 AM
Group Moderator
Have to love those engineers sometimes.

Post back after the repair and let us know how they accomplished the feat.

Old 08-06-12, 06:49 PM
how i would go about it was to drill a hole as close to the bolt that u can. then stick a punch (or self tapping bolt) in that hole to hold the inner peace still. if your lucky youll drill through both and have a good hold of it

Old 08-07-12, 03:23 AM
Thanks, a neighbor had mentioned the same, about the best idea I've heard. Might come out that way, long shot, but better than torch or saw out 1 lb of stucture metal, lol. The install is holding me back from time invested in that drill & remove option. Would have to remove pin or self tap screw to remove control arm, then not sure if possible to put back a tension or self locking nut in its place. I would think it impossible to try to reuse original fastner? Then I'd be in a spot to get it to a commercial garage, have to tow it there.Name:  2010-04-06_094811_GM_control_arm.jpg
Views: 21487
Size:  38.6 KBName:  IMG00323-20100814-1407.jpg
Views: 11522
Size:  27.8 KBName:  images (1).jpg
Views: 11229
Size:  6.9 KB
We may try drilling yet, seems like 3 or 4 layers or sheets of metal to drill to get to final part, wonder how many drill bits would snap, to try to hit small target.
Have since read about various recalls on Cobalt control arms, not even going down that path, especially since we put wrench on part first. Thanks for reply,

Old 08-07-12, 02:46 PM
try jamming long prybar between CA and frame piece, to tilt CA. What it does, it torques bolt on the nut, nut being way up there hidden above CA, and it may catch and start spinning out of the nut. Better than drilling and worth trying.
Can you get the Sawzall there and cut bolt? I can get almost any automotive bolt here at say Ace Hardware. Or a specialty nuts and bolts store, plenty of those.

Search this Thread