2003 GMC Yukon- Possible Instrument panel problem?

Old 08-10-12, 04:33 PM
2003 GMC Yukon- Possible Instrument panel problem?

Currently have a 2003 GMC Yukon, has 80,000 miles. I have had problems with the oil pressure gauge, sometimes it would work other's it would not even move. That was not a real worry until now that the gas gauge does not move. I was wondering if there was any way to trouble shoot the problem. I am also thinking that it may be the gas pump. I have no way of figuring out what is the problem. I know that maybe a year ago I received a letter from GMC saying that they had a problem with the instrument panels (recall), but I was 3000 or so miles over the limit in order to get it replaced free of charge. Now that this problem with the gas gauge showed up I do not know where to begin, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-12, 06:41 PM
known issue. fuel gauge sending unit. mine fortunately only dances back and for. used to it. Yukon is an SUV, right? you should be able to get to it from underneath the real seat. Replace pump same time, as precautionary measure. If you are cheap, negative connector on sending unit is known to rust and lose contact, so just clean it and see what happens.

Old 08-10-12, 08:08 PM
What am I cleaning and how do I do it?

Old 08-11-12, 04:28 PM
locate your tank, then locate fuel pump and sending unit. There's ground wire attached, and it's attached to chassis. Black wire. Attachment is what needs to be cleaned, as in clamp. If you do not have it, then this should help:
| Repair Guides | Fuel Level Sending Unit | Removal & Installation | AutoZone.com

Old 08-11-12, 04:36 PM
tough. according to Chilton, you do not have negative ground wire(your SUV is shared platform with pick up trucks, and that's what guys in Silverado forum told me to do to fix mine). Also, Chilton says you must remove tank. Then, remove fuel pump assy and replace sending unit.
That's Chilton. I'd still check underneath the rear seat, if there's provision to get to fuel pump from inside. Removing fuel tank is major hassle.

Old 08-11-12, 05:40 PM
Had simular problen on my other truck. a service friend of mine told me to undo the battery for 4 to 6 hr It should reset the gauges. Worked for me.

Old 08-11-12, 09:12 PM
Thank You, Both for your quick response, for now will disconnect battery, tomorrow I will follow up with "ukrbyk" suggestion. Once again Thank You.

Old 08-12-12, 08:27 AM
Just reconnected the battery and it worked! The gas gauge reset, the oil pressure gauge did not. My worry was the gas, looks like it solved the problem for now, once again, Thank You.

Old 08-12-12, 12:33 PM
if it narrows it down to cluster, why don't you pull it out - it's not that hard to do, actually - and clean all connections in the back of it and lube with dialectric grease? as it'll come back at ya.

Old 08-13-12, 09:14 PM
Any suggestions on where to begin, if possible a step by step would be great.

Old 08-14-12, 05:20 PM
as in cluster removal?

insert key
put gear shifter into lowermost position
tilt steering wheel as far down as it goes
remove battery negative cable
starting on the left upper corner, above 4wd switch, pry dashboard bezel off, slowly following to thew right and then down. sounds scary, but I had it done prolly dozen times and it never broke
wiggle bezel off steering wheel
now you have clear access to cluster bolts. undo them, there's harnes connector behind.

WARNING!!!!!!! GM had gazillion of cluster designs. you have to be SUPER sure you getting the right one, if you decide to replace it.

Search this Thread