Another car lift question

Old 08-17-12, 11:28 AM
Another car lift question

Y'all remember my thread from not so long back on car lift choice.

Well, time has come, as I now have $$ to buy one.

Of course, I am back to my dilemma - which one - and will solicit advice one last time.

I can get single column mobile lift, 7000lb, $2500 delivered, plus $200 to rent forklift to off load it.

I also found yesterday, that they have free standing 4 post lifts, 9000 lb, and I can have it delivered and unloaded for $3200.

Not much of difference on $$, a lot of difference on load capacity and likely stability(have no doubt, I can make that "free standing" more stable than it comes out of the box).

Here's where my dilemma comes from:

1. I will have it used predominantly outside and am NOT planning on building a shop around it. Disadvantage for 4 poster is - I can't roll it inside the garage, if it rains, or winter time. Single post mobile - use it anywhere you can roll it to.

2. I am absolutely not intending to do any concrete work for any post anchors.

3. I may eventually come up with a portable storage above the lift, to protect from elements, but it's still cold outside winter time (or use heater)

4. With mobile single post, I can have access to virtually anything underneath the car; with 4 post you have to drive vehicle onto ramps, then either buy optional jacks to off load wheels in case you need to have them removed, or come up with some other "ideas". I worked on son's Mazda on 4 poster not so long ago, and that's what I found. With single column mobile, long arm in the center will block some access to mid vehicle, plus arms attached to it.

5. I am not opening shop, but will be using a lift of choice regularly. We own 5 cars now, plus older son comes over for his needs, plus I am looking into buying mechanically damaged cars off craigslist and fixing them. Hence, I'll have some use for lift. I am not planning on heavy vehicles, like pickups and such.

6. Cosmesis wise, 4 poster will of course NOT add any beauty to property, but I can drive over lowered ramps if I need to (lawnmower, eg); mobile lift - I can tuck it close to wall on the slab, and cover with tarp or something

What do you think will be the most practical choice for me? I understand concerns may be about "free standing" feature, but I have little doubt I can weld bracing to posts down at the ground level, to make it very stable. Then again, my advantage with mobile lift is - cold, rain - I can roll it into garage and work there, warm and covered.

What say you?

Automotive Lifts - 4 post lifts - 7,000 lb. | Backyard Buddy

vs

Mobile Single Column Car Lift

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-12, 02:17 PM
Group Moderator
Wow! I have seen push around fork lifts but not one intended for cars.

What capacity do you need? I'm not saying any manufacturer's specs are not true but I'd be nervous the first time taking the mobile single column close to it's limit. That said I think a lot of car work is in the wheel area; rotating tires, brakes, suspension... For general use I think it would be a real pain to still have the car sitting on it's wheels. And I like the idea you could roll it inside to get it out of the weather when it's not being used not to mention the possibility of working inside. I'm sure you'd love it on some cool, rainy Saturday when you feel like tinkering on a car.

Do you have enough height for the single post to roll into your garage? My garage door is lower than the door opening when in the open position so my 8' high garage door only has 7'3" clearance.

Old 08-17-12, 04:44 PM
single post full height is 102 inches

door opening is - oops - 96 inches.

darn...

well, maybe it's not quite"darn" though, as it's only 6 inches difference. with a slight column tilt - it might roll in.

PS no trucks. only passenger vehicles. but even mt Silverado weighs only 4400 lbs

Old 08-17-12, 05:33 PM
Group Moderator
I have a compact excavator (track hoe) that only fits into the garage at the edges. The door sags when up so I have almost 2" less clearance in the center.

I'm wondering if a standard car jack could be used to lift up the one side and then it would pivot like a castor wheel as you dragged it inside. And, you've got a useful car jack.

I hate to say it but I'm liking the single post jack more and more.

Old 08-17-12, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator
If it were myself I would get the 4 post. I am really not to keen on that single post design the more I look at it.

The 4 poster has wheels too.....

Old 08-17-12, 07:18 PM
I'll have no problem tilting it as is. I am strong enough. And heavy enough. I dead lift 460 lbs.

Yes, there are optional caster attachments for 4 poster. Problem is, the area where I can set it is packed gravel+packed dirt. PACKED. Won't roll on THAT. Plus, you have to move entire piece, and that's not quite a single man job. Or, break it into separate pieces to move. Basically, it's set it and forget it lift, or have smooth surface underneath to roll it, and I mentioned - concrete work is out of question.

Old 08-17-12, 07:24 PM
Let me ask this. From a stand point of tree shade mechanic, what is more feasible - or practical - ramps, or no ramps and only bar and 4 arms under the car? 2 poster is the best option, of course, but it is out of consideration.

That's basically my question. I do agree with other poster - it is mostly suspension and steering works, oil changes, that kind of jobs. Maybe puling transmission out for clutch work.

4 poster has entire underbelly cleared, but hassle is when you need wheels off. Of course, 2 scissor jacks on each side on ramps can fix that.. Or optional sliding ram jack underneath. But definitely won't be able to move it at will and inside.

Old 08-17-12, 07:37 PM
Let me put some visual perspective in:

right in front of the black car - that's the place:

What I think of doing is bringing in a flat large sheet of metal, so that I can roll lift over it, and, in such manner, move it easy from gravel onto asphalt and slab and into garage.

Then, I can simply set a single column lift where the garden tub is now, on the slab.

Old 08-17-12, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator
Sounds like you have your mind set with that dangerous looking single post, but IMO that pallet one is a PITA too.

You cant drive under it or over it. I like being able to put the 4 poster in the garage when its cold and still have room. Plus you can get a car in the backyard without the hassle of moving it when the unit is in the driveway. That pallet one is not going to move too easy also.

Then will or do you eaven have the room to push and pull it to get it under the car? That line up the legs to the frame...Ugg !

Here is why I like the 4 poster. Leave it in the driveway and drive over it or under it to get in the backyard if needed. Drive on and lift....DONE!

Also as in pic one, in the winter its convenient. Possibly you may not get full height in the garage, but what a space saver. And back saver on cold winters.

To store the single post pallet unit you will need to sacrifice a car out in the weather.

You asked for opinions and that's what mine is.....If it was me, that's what I would buy.

Last edited by lawrosa; 08-17-12 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Removed a broken link.
Old 08-17-12, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator
But then again if it were me I would not buy the back yard buddy. That thing is not ANSI/ALI ALCTV 2006 rated because it probably could not pass.

It does meet ANSI/ALI B-153.1 but that standard is old on obsolete.

IMO the BYB is not safe.

I would probably go with the Bendpak brand lifts. I say this because you peaked my intrest and I had some time to research lifts. This is what I do before I make purchases. I turn over every stone I can to be educated in every aspect.

So Here is my opinion so far. The HD 9 is about $2800 delivered. Comes with many options, like wheels. 88" height. They make 4 versions this high with different widths and lengths. All 9000 lbs. Options are slider jacks for your tire issue you are dealing with.

Garage Lifts, 4-Post Car Lifts, Four Post Car Lifts, Auto Lifts - BendPak Products

Accessories.

BendPak Car Lift and Garage Equipment Accessories

$2800 for wide and narrow post HD9, free delivery.

BendPak 4 Post Lifts - Bend-Pak 4 Post Car, Auto,Truck Lifts

May have missed some details but just giving you a push to research more before you buy. So far if I was pretending it was myself buying a lift I would be heavily leaning on the Bendpak at this time.

Old 08-17-12, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator
I did a Google search of the rating and found this PDF file.

http://www.asedeals.com/backyardbuddy_bendpak.pdf

This may be on Bendpak website but could not find it.

But now watch this video.

I now like the backyard buddy, but since I am really not buying one, you will need to research it and really compare design. If the bendpacks are anything like the competition units shown in this video then the BYB seens great IMO.

Four Post car lifts for the home garage videos

Het soryr to confuse you....LOL

Last edited by lawrosa; 08-17-12 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-18-12, 05:10 AM
Group Moderator
I do not have a horse in this race but I suspect the single post lift will not roll on gravel very well. The 4 poster has nice big wheels that I think would roll better.

4 poster would also fit through your garage door.

Old 08-18-12, 05:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Having installed footings for decks, etc over the years, my fear is that either one will sink in the gravel pit you have. I would spend a couple of bucks and concrete my work area. I know you said you wouldn't be doing footings, but that's a lot of weight for gravel to withstand. Besides, you can find a dropped bolt on concrete better than you can in the gravel

Old 08-18-12, 06:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
One question not asked - it looks like you live in a fairly nice subdivision, what happens if the neighbors complain about you having a lift visible from the road next to the property line. Hopefully there won't be any code or HOA violations...... that's one of the reasons I live in a rural area

Old 08-18-12, 06:05 AM
Group Moderator
Beat me to it, Mark; I was wondering how close the neighbors are and what line of sight they have to the intended work area.

Old 08-18-12, 01:14 PM
Thank you, guys (gals?)

Appreciate insights.

Ha-ha, no neighbors. I have 1.75 acre jungle to the right of the picture, acre property, and 4 mobile homes to the left, 2 of those guys are mechanics, and one is marijuana smokers, they don't give rats ars.

I guess it went un noticed, that I am planning on dropping a large metal sheet on that gravel. In case of single column. From Boeing surplus or something. Or, in case of 4 poster, I'll drop wide metal squares underneath each foot and chain them together. I am NOT concreting. Too expensive.

So, here's latest development. Found a guy 70 miles away, who worked for Boeing, and is retiring to Ecuador by the month end. He has a Boeing made 9000 lbs 4 poster, free standing design. My neighbor tipped me on this, as he went to guy's place and bought some tools etc very cheap.

Man tells me that lift works super and looks brand new. Owner says I can rent a large trailer and haul it on it, he says he had it done before. THAT I can do with my Silverado. He's supposed to shoot me pics later today. He was hoping for $3000, but that was a week ago, and he has 12 days left before he leaves the country. Allegedly lift has all perks, including ram jacks. He says it can be easily moved around. According to my neighbor, guy has 7 door garage and worked on some classic cars restorations.

I think, for sake of safety and access to the underbelly, 4 poster is still more practical. I can later set a large tent over it, winters are not that cold here, even midsize heater will keep it warm inside in case of cold times work, and I am used to cold anyway, my comfort zone is 57.

I just spent an hour underneath my Silverado, doing some suspension maintenance, and can't wait to get lift. It is very hard for me to crawl under cars lately.

Old 08-18-12, 07:14 PM
This one:

Old 08-18-12, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator
I would not buy that. For the same $$ get the BYB. Its new and you know what your getting.
What is the actual brand and model ? Boeing? LOL

My opinion

Old 08-19-12, 06:46 AM
not buying. he wants too much for it. guy says he had it built for Boeing or by Boeing. Considering he worked their. Folks around here have some weird chit left over from their Boeing jobs.

Though he's probably not true, as there's a label showing on one of the posts, says "Prairie Street Rod Assn. " August 1 2004, but maybe it's just some show sticker.

Old 08-19-12, 08:18 PM
Final decision - 4 poster. Buddy came over today. He owns a shop, has 3 lifts in it. He was right on one aspect - lift is just a starting point. Eventually, it'll end up being a shop built around it. 4 poster wins long term battle.
Now just need to make decision between BYB or Bendpack.

Old 08-21-12, 08:53 AM
Yeah, I did. I looked at any lift out there, as I have been on this quest for over a month.

Max. Lift Height (Pad only): 45" / 1143 mm.

It's too short on lifting height. Also, it must be bolted to the slab. If you want to move it, you have to unbolt it and then move.

There's a lift that would have been ideal for me. It's scissor lift, 2 separate pieces, that lifts up to 72 inches and is 7 000 lb capable. You have to do no install, it sits on any form surface, as it's wide and long flat base.

COST PROHIBITIVE. $4570 before shipping.

Old 08-21-12, 09:15 AM
So maybe someone can help me with this.

I have been digging price info on BYB lifts for the last 3 days or so. NOTHING. It appears to be the best kept secret on the internet. Even folks that allegedly had it installed, keep their mouths shut on any pricing.

Cabal or not, does anyone actually know their four post free standing price? Reason I am not calling them is simple - EVERYONE complains about their super pushy sales reps. One thing I do have, is a very short fuse for sales BS.

Anyone?

And out of curiosity, apparently, lift pricing is generally secret. I figured only cheapo China made lifts are open pricing. Any solid and, esp, domestic manufacturers, will NOT post pricing. That sort of pushes me away from Bendpack, as it's "cost efficient" and pricing is easily available.

Old 08-21-12, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator
I read and read about both products. Here is what i think.

1.Bend pak has some secondary lock mechanism for safety. BYB has the check valve in the hydrolic line.

2. Bend pak does not say where its made or where the steel is from. BYB is Ameican made.

3. Bend pak is certified and is in most shops arcross the US. Thats is why they dont have the BYB. Not certified. Why they do not get this certification is beyond me. They would sell more. Is it that it really cant get certified and will not pass?

4. BYB does not advertise the price I read because of the price of fluctuating steel prices.

5. I would be concerned that bend pak has that long winded article down playing the BYB. Note: Just read that Bend pack is from china. Not my cup of tea.

Overall I like the BYB design much better. I would only like to know why its not certified and or is it because of the safety lock feature? Would it pass? Why do they chose not to have it certified? That is, what happens when a cable breaks on accent or decent? Compare that to the bend pak.

These are thing I would want to know. And as in the video where BYB compares other lifts, if thats like the bend pack and they wobble like that, and have a short lock pin as shown, I would lean towards the BYB.

I guess we cant beat this horse anymore unless you through in some other lift to the mix.

Last edited by lawrosa; 08-21-12 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-21-12, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator
Dont really want to confuse you but I would really utilize your garage. Plus for outside work I would possibly pour two footings.

This is better portabilty IMO and less of an eye sore. Simply unbolt and move it. Not a PITA like the others.

I really like this. I am going to inquire myself. I like the motorcycle attachment. My buddy has the drive on motorcycle lift and its a PITA to do any tire work...etc.

$2399 at summit racing but I bet I can find it for less the 2K.

Look for all the videos at the link below.

http://www.dannmar.com/dannmar-products/two-post-lifts/maxjax.asp

From Jay Leno garage .com

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/MaxJax-Portable-Lift-System/1192362

Old 08-21-12, 01:19 PM
Partial footing is also under consideration. Honestly, I'd rather weld a steel plate frame along lift perimeter, and let it sit on top of it. Folks kinda doubt, but I had GVW 20 000 lbs truck on that place and it didn't even leave tracks. Ground is SOLID there. My concrete slabs in front of garage give, that - doesn't.

But anyhow. Mike, that lift looks exactly like Bendpack. I simply can't get over ramps going INSIDE posts.

Eventually, I'll prolly end up constructing a shop around and above that lift.

Here's thing about any certification. COSTS A LOT OF MONEY. We were making cranial remolding helmets back in Nashville, and to get them approved for in house fabrication, total bill was $140 000. BYB must be selling plenty as is to worry about it.

Old 08-21-12, 01:28 PM
Plus $525 shipping. Way out of my price tag.

BYB Automotive Lift Models 100% Made in the USA

1. 7000# Backyard Buddy Standard 4 Post Lift $4,595.00

This top of the line lift is powered by 110V power supply and is perfect for the residential application. The 63 under platform clearance and 13 of runway length offers plenty of room to work on your favorite cars. It also has enough clearance to accommodate almost any two cars for the purpose of double stacking. The quality design and construction are unparalleled in the automotive lift industry.

2. 7000# Backyard Buddy Extended 4 Post Lift $4,895.00

Same as our standard model except it offers 71.5 of under platform clearance and 14 ft. of runway length. This lift is also perfect for that taller mechanic as it lifts the chassis approximately 7 ft. above the ground.

3. 7000# Backyard Buddy 4 Post Over-Height Lift $5,395.00

Now you can double stack virtually anything. This lift offers a full 7 ft. of under platform clearance and offers 16.5 ft. of runway length. There is also 9 ft. of clearance between the posts. This allows for virtually anything from small cars to long wheel base pick-up trucks.

4. 9000# Backyard Buddy 4 Post Lift $5,995.00

Due to superior design, this 9000# lift is identical in operation to our standard model. However, with the use of thicker steel we made this lift long enough, wide enough, and heavy-duty enough to accommodate any vehicle on the road today including a 4-door, 1-ton dually pick-up. It is the only 9000# lift that is rugged enough to remain portable at this heavy capacity. Perfect for your hobby cars as well as your dually pick-up; this lift does it all.