Question about scanners???

Old 08-18-12, 12:46 PM
Question about scanners???

Are there any of the scanners that can help diagnose a/c problems. The a/c compressor will not engage unless i manually ground the wire going to the relay. The pressure check out fine, and i have changed the pressure switch (transducer), checked all the relays and fuses but will not come on when the a/c button is pressed. It is a 03 malibu. If i ground the relay(wire from pcm) the compressor comes on but neither of the cooling fans come on. I ran it like this just long enough to see if it would blow cold air and it does. I was going to take it in and have a scan done on it until i found it would cost almost 100 bucks. I have a cheap code reader and would like to have a nicer one, but one that will help with this type of problem. Is there one that is reasonbly priced that can help identify this type of problem. I enjoy fixing my vehicles myself if possible.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-12, 01:19 PM
well, knowing GM cars, I bet it's faulty climate control unit.
cheapo solution is to install a toggle switch and run it manually.
but no, aware am I of no such scanners. others might.

Old 08-18-12, 01:37 PM
how do you check the climate control unit, i have already pulled the unit out and cleaned all the contacts as described on google search

Old 08-18-12, 09:33 PM
If there are any codes they will come from the BCM and that is something that unfortunately only the dealer can scan. OBD2 scanners designed for ECM's will not read these codes. If the problem was not caused by the typical Malibu contact problem that you are working on, you may need to get the BCM checked for codes at the dealer.

Old 08-19-12, 07:30 AM
so is there any other way to test the control head other than replacing it? How and where do you install a toggle switch that (ukrbyk) speaks of. thanks

Old 08-19-12, 02:24 PM
Group Moderator
I think about all you can read on a scanner is whether there is a signal (demand) for the ac to turn on. That's about all I can read on my little handheld. Drives me nuts that everything has to be computer-controlled so when you turn on the ac you're not turning on the ac, you're telling the computer you want the ac turned on.

Old 08-19-12, 08:24 PM
I say - try one from junkyard. Some do allow returns on electrical parts, if it's done within 3 days or so. If it works - you narrowed it down.
The only reason I mentioned toggle switch is that I had a - yes, my infamous Ford Taurus - that I had rigged with switch for cooling fans. You mention that you had a/c running down to "cold air", so you somewhere jumped system enough to have function out of it. That's where you cut your switch in. Then just find place in dash somewhere to have it installed. Make sure you have very heavy duty one. I melted several by running fans off them.

Old 08-20-12, 08:07 PM
find a local auto shop and see if you can get a # of there local tool guy. ie. snap-on, matco, mac, ect... they offer many scanners some as cheep as 100 that could do it.

Old 08-21-12, 07:35 PM
thanks guys, i may have to take it to the dealer as much as i hate it. Wonder what they charge to hook it up to their computer and tell me where the problem is. I could probably fix it if i knew where the problem is. I've checked everything i can think of, took the bcm, and the pcm out thinking there might be a bad connection. Something causing the relay not to get the ground which evidently involves the cooling fans also, because if i force the compressor on it will cool but the condensor fan does not come on. Although the fans do work if i let it idle till it gets hot, they will come on.