Unable to make 'Oil-Change,' because of 'too tight'

Old 08-26-12, 09:35 AM
Unable to make 'Oil-Change,' because of 'too tight'

Hi:
Toyota Camry 2011 with very low-mileage, purchased as 'used-car' from local Car-Max this summer.

Sincer yesterday, my son attempted 'Oil change' on Toyota Camry 2011, DIY.

However, when he used to 'special tool' bought from PepBoy for its loosen-up does not work because of 'too tight,' even it's never to budge.

My son said, on older Camry was so easy to make 'oil-chage' because it's so easy to loosen up the oil plug along with oil-filter.

My question is:
How to make oil-plug underneath loosen up to make oil-chage/DIY?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-12, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator
What type of tool are you using?

You should be able to get a socket on it, no?

Remember tight clockwise and loose counter clockwise.

Old 08-26-12, 10:13 AM
What type of tool are you using?

You should be able to get a socket on it, no?

Remember tight clockwise and loose counter clockwise.
My son went to PepBoy who helped to find an appropriate tool that has a socket on it. He's normally so easy to loosen it up and oild-chage less than 20 minutes or so on an older Camry. However, this, 2011 Camry does not budge.

Only way to loosen it up is to go back to CarMax where one of mechanic made it 'so tight.' However, it takes almost one hour drive to get there.

Is there anything to make it loose up? He loves DIY/oil-change.

Old 08-26-12, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator
warm the car up. The pan should heat up and expand some. Then try it.

You are sure you are loosening the correct bolt?

This vid may help. Says its a 14mm socket or wrench.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3ThOeQ9DKk&feature=player_embedded#!

Old 08-26-12, 10:21 AM
Group Moderator
Length of pipe over the ratchet handle to provide more leverage/torque, but frankly I would be concerned about trying to loosen a drain plug that was that tight. I think i would opt for the drive back to whichever gorilla mechanic made it that tight.

Old 08-26-12, 02:14 PM
as far as I know, cartridge cap is PLASTIC. BEWARE!!!!!!

This might work better:

Oil Filter Wrench Spider Type - CTA Manufacturing CTA-2506 | FCP Euro

Old 08-26-12, 02:23 PM
Group Moderator
Ukrbyk, that's a filter wrench. He is trying to remove the plug. I'd bet the previous mechanic used an impact wrench set to the wrong torque. I agree let the original mechanic handle it. If the threads are screwed up it will be on his dime to replace the pan.

Old 08-26-12, 02:26 PM
No, he has cartridge type filter installed into canister, and canister has cap that is octagonal in shape.
That's why they sold him "special tool" to remove cap.
However, when he used to 'special tool' bought from PepBoy for its loosen-up does not work because of 'too tight,' even it's never to budge.

I am regular in several Camry forums, and those caps are known to be ridiculously tight. One needs no special tool to undo 14mm head drain plug.

Old 08-26-12, 02:30 PM
If you watch the video, you'll see grey "special tool" for cap removal. Those are notorious to spread and slip over filters. They have been around for years for oil filter removals, and in my opinion ain't worth a flip. Spider thing, when you figure how to use it, works much better.
O-ring probably expanded and locked the cap in place.

Old 08-26-12, 02:52 PM
Group Moderator
Sorry ukrbyk my bad. Not use to post '85 cars. Never thought it could be the oil filter the way it was described. Guess you don't just drive the largest screw driver you have through the oil filter any more.

Old 08-26-12, 03:15 PM
oh, no worries. I have 07 Camry Hybrid, oil filter is still conventional one. But for some reason, they chose to "improve it", prolly cuz now oil change costs about twice as much "with all the work that needs to be done" and "special tools" and, also, prolly to copycat Europeans, who used cartridge filters for years.
There have been some major gripe in Camry forums about those caps.
But my little one just bought 2008 Mazdaspeed with same design, only better - has bleeder screw in the cap center - and we had no issues undoing it. My g'ol spider wrench worked just fine. Plastic too. So no, no cheat pipes on that one. Mucho, mucho dinero to replace, if cracked.

I think, on "new and redesigned" 2012 models, it's actually 2 filters, flat, stacked on top each other. Maybe wrong. Maybe it's VW thing.

Old 08-26-12, 03:43 PM
Toyota Camry Oil Change Guide - 2007 To 2011 Model Years - 2.4L I4, 2.5L I4 & 3.5L V6 Engines - Picture Illustrated DIY Automotive Maintenance Instructions

maybe this will help; also, turns to be, it does have oil drain plug inside the filter cap; try draining oil first; also, luck permit, that drain screw may turn entire cap out.

And - as I have done it myself - make sure you turn cap wrench in the correct direction. Working upside down may easily confuse "which way to go".

Old 08-27-12, 09:17 AM
Thanks ALL for your advices and suggestions along with illustrated instructions in detail.

After having read all of responses, my son decided to go to Jiffy Lube, because the manager told him 'hand-tight,' not 'machine tight.' They charge $37.00 for oil-change.

Prior to the call to the Jiffy-Lube, he asked the CarMax for loosen-up drain-cap/plug, however they told him not able to submit his request, 'hand-tight' because of the Warranty.

In the meantime, he's going to the CarMax Parts Dept. to get the accurate tool for the next oil-change/DIY.

We, the family never expect this hassle, but seems any of cars have some sort of issue for us to deal with, even thouth we paid close to $20,000 for the 2011 Camry with warranty.

Old 08-27-12, 01:55 PM
Like I said - I did same principle oil change on son's Mazdaspeed, and I was very particular to only hand tight the cap. And not to squeeze it too much with my spider tool. And drain oil first via drain plug.
I honestly do not care, why they had to go through the hassle of making it so complicated. What I do care, though, is why it has to be plastic, and why those filter caps point straight down, right into oncoming rocks and pebbles from the road. They didn't even come up with a service cover for it.

Old 09-03-12, 12:04 PM
UPDATE;
My son finally got loosen it up and changed oil successfully.

However, this didn't happen as easily as he thought.
Before having loosed it up, he approached neighborhood service technician. Luckily, the tech. helped him by having used socket-wrench and extension bar( about 2 feet long). My son paid $10 for that. The tech. told him still 'tight,' but since he did loosen, my son was able to do the job/oil-change. After oil-changed, my son said unlike older model Camry, it's very messy, but he was so happy to see the result.

If any of you on this board having a problem on 2011 Camry, I suggest what my son did, unless truly mechanical apptitude to have it done.

Old 09-04-12, 02:51 PM
Glad you did it. Question: you still used that special tool from PepBoys or something else?

Old 09-04-12, 09:06 PM
Question: you still used that special tool from PepBoys or something else?
My son got 3 different tools, one is a cup wrench from CarMax where Camry 2011 was purchased,
the other two are a Socket wrench and small extension which gives him a leverage

Those two were purchased from local auto-part store

I think a best thing is to ask the tech. along with any knowledgeable sales-clerks working in the auto-part stores.
This forum, DIT is definitely a big help, without it, he had no way to DIT.

Thanks ALL for your knowledgeable help, advices and suggestions.

Old 09-05-12, 04:14 PM
Ok, now I get it. So he has cup shaped tool that goes over the filter, from PepBoys or whatever, regular socket wrench (that capital S threw me off) and short extension. Yep, pretty basic. Thanks, buddy.