06 tl sound like riding on off road tires

Old 08-26-12, 12:29 PM
06 tl sound like riding on off road tires

Car is making a humming sound similar to a truck that had those big off road tires at 40 mph and above, doesnt matter if turning or going straight . The car has new continental extreme contact dws tires put on about 5k ago and didnt make this sound when they were first put on. All of a sudden i noticed this. Does this sound like a wheel bearing noise or tire noise? I know its not engine or trannny sound as it still hums in neutral. Also how much play if any should cv joints move if you grab the shaft and try to move it. thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-12, 12:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What is an 06tl? Sorry for my ignorance, but I gotta know.

Old 08-26-12, 01:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Have hou checked the air pressure in the tires? are they all wearing evenly?
I don't know what an 06 tl is either

Old 08-26-12, 01:41 PM
sounds like a wheel bearing to me. see if the noise changes on sharp turns. most cv axles will have play, not a good way to know if one is bad. unless it makes a clicking noise during slow sharp turns.

Old 08-26-12, 02:03 PM
It's Acura TL. 0000000000000000000000

Old 08-26-12, 02:08 PM
1. is the noise pitch changing when you change where you drive inside the lane? If it does, it's road noise.
2. check tire pressure.
3. 6 yo Acura does not sound like bad bearing, but... Suspend tire in question up in the air, have hands on 6 and 12, rock it vigorously back and for. If you have play - it's hub bearing. I had them replaced, but never herad them making humming noise. Bad bearing will cause steering issues.
4. I say - half shaft has no play. I tugged on quite few.

Is humm changing pitch at all?

Old 08-26-12, 04:04 PM
Its a 2006 acura tl. Tire presure is good. It seems to be same sound no change in pitch....sounds the loudest on fresh smooth pavement and seems to be coming from the front. I had the tires off earlier and no strange wear whatsoever and nothing stuck in the tire treads. I removed any pebbles too to make sure. Car drives straight in a line too so alignment is good. Ill jack it up this week again and check bearing. Thanks for everyones input.

Old 08-26-12, 04:13 PM
I don't think it's tire or bearing related. Anything that rotates will change pitch when RPMs change. Sounds more like a relay or fuse or a motor somewhere or, even, exhaust leak.
Post please when you find out, as I have similar hummm in my Silverado - it's constant pitch, irrelevant to how fast I go or pavement quality. Curious.
Didn't someone here have humm coming from windshield wiper motor? One of the mods, around spring time?

Old 08-26-12, 11:04 PM
It def. Is coming from something rotatin. when I say it doesnt change pitch, its hard to tell. Can hear it the best at around 40Mph, below that speed i dont hear it at all. at highway speed its just harder to tell if its louder with extra wind noise so sounds quiter...if that makes.sense.

Old 08-27-12, 03:56 AM
The first thing I would do is to take your car back to the tire shop and have them completely check out your new tires. It is possible that a belt has slipped or another defect with the tread has happened to one of them. Want to eliminate that possible cause first. Car is too knew and reliable to immediately worry about CV joints or wheel bearings. Eliminate the other things first. After 5K they are due for a rotation anyway, and it sounds completely tire related at this point. It could also be that the initial softer rubber has worn down and you are now finding out why they call the tires 'extreme'. Are you hearing the same level of noise regardless of road surface, ie. asphalt verses concrete?

Old 08-27-12, 07:54 AM
Have you owned the car since new?
How many miles on it?
How many miles on the tires you took off 5k ago?

Old 08-27-12, 10:43 AM
I rotated the tires about a month ago and the sounds started a week or two after that. I took them off and inspected them after I began to hear it and I can't see anything wrong with them. Have owned the car since new has about 60k on it. the sound if the loudest on fresh smoothly paved all black tar. on the stone and tar mix I dont hear it. maybe this is just how these tires sound....great. They are not directional tires either.

Old 08-27-12, 10:45 AM
Group Moderator
I have had tires in the past that did not behave quietly on certain surfaces. You saying the noise changes based on the surface makes me think it is noise generated between the tire and the road surface.

Old 08-27-12, 01:51 PM
Aha, so it IS road related. How did you rotate your tires? I normally cross rotate mine back to front. What it does, it changes tire rotation direction. As a result, they hit pavement in a different way, and I am even anticipating increased road noise for several weeks.
Considering it is quite hot outside and tar is the first to soften, it can simply stick to the road worse, causing unusual noise?

Old 08-29-12, 03:29 PM
Tire noise

Try inflating your tires to the maximum inflation on THE TIRE. Cooper tires are notorious for making noise under maximum inflation. Make sure you set the pressure before you drive the car as driving will increase your pressure.

Old 08-31-12, 06:20 AM
It sounds like a wheel bearing. All the narratives I've read from customers related to bearings returned for warranty have a common symptom - "growling or moaning most noticeable at 30-50 mph".