2 button 2 wire electric door lock switch

Old 09-02-12, 03:02 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
2 button 2 wire electric door lock switch

I'm trying to be able to unlock the card using RFID. The problem is I don't understant how the current unlock all doors work. There's the lock and the unlock button on the same switch, but only 2 wire. I just can't understand how it could work.
For all it maters, it's an 2006 saturn ion

Old 09-02-12, 03:15 PM
Received 62 Upvotes on 53 Posts
I'd guess, motor is grounded to door frame; thereafter, one wire is lock and one is unlock. Connected to opposite actuator ends or terminals... With opposite function resulting.

But I am dumm electrically.

Old 09-02-12, 03:29 PM
M
Could you make a drawing of it? I still don't understand.
My thinking: to work, the solenoid must have a ground and a positive side. I guess the ground is on taken from the door yea, but what about the positive side? It can come from either lock or unlock wire. But what about those two, where do they take it?

ground-------solenoid------lock
|......................|.............. |
|...................unlock------switch
|
(-)Battery(+)-----?

Old 09-02-12, 09:42 PM
M
Seems this represents it better from what I could find.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]3130[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 09-03-12, 01:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Saturn Ion's came with RF fobs, didn't they? Can't you replace a lost one and have it rekeyed?

Old 09-03-12, 07:54 AM
like I said - I am dumm electrically. I just sorta thought - if you have constant ground from door metal, then the 2 wires in question are always (+) and switches are simple breaker type. You close one switch - trips solenoid into lock, close the other one - trips solenoid into unlock.
Solenoid prolly has some sort of a disconnect configuration, so that when it tripped into Lock, there is no more power supplied to it, or it will not unlock. Like, say, having 2 independent coils in it, one to lock and one to unlock.
JUst guessing. Surprised no one else, more learned on electricity, didn't pitch in.

Old 09-03-12, 12:22 PM
M
The switch isn't wired to the door, it's exactly like the picture I posted. I got confirmation from another website. But it's a 1.5k ohm resistance that must be used instead of the one on the picture.
I'll come back to confirm once I try, it's a holyday now and election tommorow so maybe in 2 days

Old 09-04-12, 01:57 PM
Oh, I never said switch to be wired to the door. I said - lock actuator(solenoid) is grounded to the door metal. So you have negative from there and positive from wires. Wild guess though. Plenty of that type connections all over any vehicle.

Old 09-05-12, 04:09 PM
M
So yea, I had to connect the ground with the resistor to unlock it. No more forgotten keys!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: