Need help with ignition cylinder replacement.

Old 09-08-12, 01:43 PM
Need help with ignition cylinder replacement.

I want to replace the ignition lock cylinder in my daughter's 99 Mitsubishi Eclipse.

The key has been stuck in the ignition for a while and there does not seem to be any release system as I have found on other vehicles.

I have tried everything short of replacing the cylinder, and now am faced with the situation in the photo.

I'm thinking of removing the brass screw just to the left of the ignition, but if that doesn't release the cylinder, I'll be stuck. Also, I'm not sure if the plastic bezel comes off or not.

Any suggestions?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-12, 06:54 PM
can you turn the key?
far as I remember from several locks I had to take out, key must be in a specific position for lock to come out, as cylinder has a ridge on it's end, that mates with grove in lock housing.

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse: core..the steering wheel..column..cylinder - JustAnswer

has to be in ACC position

PS

worse come to worse, break key and drill cylinder out. You'll end up with 2 keys after cylinder replacement, or simply start it with flat head screwdriver inserted into slot that will be there after core removal.

Old 09-08-12, 08:19 PM
before you drill i would make sure the shift inter lock is working. just like if it was stuck "on" you cant get out of park. if its stuck "off" you cant remove the key. looking at your pic it seems your key is not fully in the "lock" position.

Old 09-09-12, 07:19 AM
iceman got the point. is steering wheel locked?

Old 09-09-12, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the responses.

More info: The key is fully functional. It can start the car, and all other positions do what they should. Steering wheel is fully functional.

Although it may appear to be not lined up in the lock position, it does line up perfectly with the engraved notch in this position and the others.

My problem is accessing the "lock core release button" mentioned in the link.

I live in the boonies and the only service shop available is quoting $200. just to try and locate the problem, and if it is the interlock system, the total bill would be $6-700 (or more!). So I'd really like to change the cylinder, if I can do it myself, for a total cost of $20.00.

Old 09-09-12, 10:21 AM
Progress!

I just found a tiny hole hidden in the steering column, and the lock mechanism came right out.

Can anyone tell from the photos how to get the key out? I tried pushing and pulling the various likely spots with no luck, putting the key in various positions.

I would really like to keep the key to open the door - don't want to change those locks, too! And, no, my daughter doesn't have a spare (of course).

All help most appreciated!

Attached Images     
Old 09-09-12, 12:11 PM
A little more progress...

I've managed to get to the next stage, but still not able to get the key to release.

Any ideas?

Attached Images  
Old 09-09-12, 08:52 PM
this would be a first for me, if you cant get the key out now. then it has to be in the tumblers. with a small flat head screw driver push the tumblers in on the side with out the circle on the end of the slot. might have to work them back ad forth a bit. spary lost of lube to help

Old 09-10-12, 06:33 AM
Hi again: Despite dosing with lube, two of the tumblers on one side will not depress. The other 6 move freely. Am I beat or is there something else I can try. Does this thing come apart?

Old 09-10-12, 08:20 AM
You removed the problem from the car. At this point I'd consult with a local locksmith. They may be able to fix it cheaply and painlessly, or at least better suggest what options you have.

Old 09-10-12, 07:10 PM
well, like I said - for now, you can start vehicle with a flat head screwdriver inserted into the slot.
sounds like tumblers springs broke and jammed them.
Is that a locking clip and a pin? some drilling might be required. Whatever human hands put together, human hands may take apart.

Old 01-31-13, 03:05 PM
If you don't have any luck removing the Key. You may be able to go to your local Mitsubishi dealer & take proof of ownership & your ID (the person who owns the car must do this or be present) & they may be able to cut you a key from the VIN # assuming the locks have never been changed. Good Luck & I hope this helps.