filters

Old 09-12-12, 07:23 AM
filters

Hello
My engine air filter and the cabin air filter on my 2007 Corolla look clean but the manuel says they should have been changed quite a while ago -maybe 7,000 miles.
Should I go by the look or by the book?
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-12, 07:25 AM
Group Moderator
I replace mine annually regardless of how they look - pretty cheap product and one which is clogged can potentially rob you of gas mileage.

Old 09-12-12, 08:32 AM
Your driving conditions has a lot to do with change intervals. Shine a light thru the filter and see how it looks.

Old 09-12-12, 08:42 AM
As Retired Wrench mentioned, driving condition makes a huge impact on how regular to change them. If you are driving regularly in dusty/dirty environments, You will change the filters more often.

Engine Air filter I check twice an oil change (when changing the oil and sometime between oil changes). I generally give it a quick blow off with the air compressor as this is also the time I am checking and adjusting the tire air pressure.

The cabin filter I'll inspect once a year tops. Most of the vehicles I've owned with one (or worked on) are a pain to get to the cabin filter.

Old 09-12-12, 10:03 AM
My air filters stay clean a long time where I drive. I use them for at least 30K. Most people change them too early, which is wasteful.

Cabin filters get filthy rather quick. I have to change them every 15K for most cars.

Go by the look.

Old 09-12-12, 10:43 AM
air filter

I just came in from checking both filters and the cabin air filter I will change. I just blew it out till I get to the store + it was quite dirty.
The enging air filter, even to the light, is immaculate and pure white without a spot of dust or dirt. I do not see a dirt road where I live.

Old 09-13-12, 11:09 AM
I do normally replace my engine intake filter with a reusable one such as a K&N or similar when the vehicle is new (to me).
This is not for performance, but overall cost savings. 1 filter and a clean/recharge kit will set you back much less over the life of the car then it would to continue replacing paper filters.
With these, I'll clean and recharge every quarter or sooner if needed.

Old 09-13-12, 12:50 PM
filters

I'll look into it.
My house ac tech told me to not use the replacable filters for my home ac unit as they damage the unit.
I don't know if that applies to the car too.

Thank you for the tip which I'll check into.

Old 09-13-12, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator
Peter...I'm not sure what kind of A/C unit you have.. or what kind of filter it uses...but I think your HVAC tech is full of it.

Regular replacement of a good quality 1" filter is just fine. The 4" filters will do a better job and need replacing less often...but if they weren't originally installed...I doubt it's worth the money to change. Same with the factory style washable filters..if not OEM.

What exactly does your tech suggest?

I replace my car filters yearly....well..on my wifes car..she drives 10X more than I.

Old 09-13-12, 02:12 PM
filters

I hope I didn't cofuse things for you all.
I was just reminded of the ac unit I had in Fl years ago and the tech who worked on it said never to use the plastic washable kind. He said to use the cardbard and paper ones you dispose of. He said the plastic ones can hurt the unit. I don't know beans about filters or ac so I was just telling you what he said in case it has any bearing on the car fiter.

Uness I read it wrong it was suggeted I usea non replacable filter for my car's engine but I'll dgo back and re read it. I was thinking if they were bad for houses maybe they were not good for cars.
If there is such a thibg as a permanent one you clean, it is probably just fine.

Sorry to have caused any confusion.

Old 09-13-12, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator
Peter...for the amount of driving I think you do...just buy Fram or whatever name brand filters and replace them them based on your mileage and driving habits.

$7(?) or so every year is cheap.

Old 09-13-12, 04:08 PM
An air filter that is starting to get clogged doesn't affect a fuel injected engine like the old Carburetor engines, the computer will compensate and maintain the correct air/fuel ratio. A badly clogged air filter will begin to affect wide-open-throttle performance but I think Peter is not in that catagory nor am I.
I remove and vacuum the cabin air filter and reinstall it. I have washed them in the past with soap and water and let them dry. They work like new. I'm in Canada and our filters are quite a bit more expensive than in the US. I own a 2007 Uplander and I'm on the first replacement cabin filter as we speak.

All the best.

Bob

Old 09-14-12, 07:00 AM
filters

I am in MD just 20 minutes from DC and the prices here are killers.
I am here cause I am sick and need to be near my daughter with my wife of the same years as me just in case but $SS doen't go too far.
It cost $18 for the cabin filter and it was filthy. The air filter is about the same cost but more.
I woud not damage the car to save a couple of dollars on a filter but the engine one could not be cleaner.

I have aquestion about ATF but I do not want to cross post so will post in another thread.
Thank you all for your continuing help.
As you can tell I am going through a list of things to do to the car before the scheduled maintenance.

Old 10-08-12, 11:28 PM
Just a thought, but only a few years ago we never had filters on the cabin intakes of cars.. Are the needed??, or is this another marketing excersise that makes us buy more parts? My old truck works fine without one, but I have never had a vehicle with one to compare the air quality difference,,, Roger

Old 10-09-12, 05:43 AM
I agree that it's interesting that we got by without cabin filters for decades. There is some merit to having them. The cabin filter keeps the leaves and grit out of the a/c evaporator core, heater core, and fan. They can get clogged with leaves and start composting, which leads to the musty smell people get from their a/c. The leaves can also become acidic when composting and corrode the cores.