1991 Chevy Lumina sedan 3.1L Multi Port FI

Old 09-14-12, 08:09 AM
1991 Chevy Lumina sedan 3.1L Multi Port FI

I have a problem with rough starting until the engine gets warmed up (guage on dash increases in temperature). As it finally gets warmer the engine stabilizes (still in park mode), but temperature keeps increasing. Lights indicators come on the dash (Brake, Fasten Seatbelts, and Low coolant). Temperature indicates 215 F. on guage. Then low coolant indicator extinguishes at 240 F. . As I ride down the road the temperature indicator decreases a few degrees. Do I need a new thermostat (due to it being stuck closed), or is this a false/faulty temperature sensor indication. Or could it be another problem. Help in troubleshooting, please.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-12, 08:24 AM
Group Moderator
If you've actually been running it that hot you may have head gasket issues; 240 degrees is well above normal.

Are you having to add coolant and is there any sign of coolant loss like white smoke and/or sweet smelling exhaust?

Old 09-14-12, 08:48 AM
A small drip on the ground. No white smoke or sweet smell. But what is causing the "low coolant light to extinguish after reaching a certain temperature?

Old 09-14-12, 06:59 PM
because coolant expands when hot. 25 or so % expansion ratio. your low coolant sensor is most likely in expansion canister.

I say you are:
1. low on coolant
2. have air sucked into the system, as result
3. loose belts, so pump is not moving coolant well enough

do the fans come up? you should be running at about 196 degrees, unless someone put high temp t-stat on her.

Old 09-19-12, 05:33 PM
Well, replaced thermostat. Still gets hot with low coolant light and flag showing overtemp. But going down road low coolant light goes out. And puddle of anti freeze with steam billowing from under the hood. Replaced throttle also. I'm looking for the leak.heater and AC has not worked for a year also. Do you think alums seal or Bars stop radiator leak will work on sealing a radiator leak?

Old 09-20-12, 05:09 AM
Group Moderator
Probably, but it's a band-aid fix. Aftermarket radiators are pretty cheap these days, but considering the age, the car may be on its last legs given the symptoms you are getting.