Lexus IS250 Audio Issue

Old 09-18-12, 06:16 PM
Lexus IS250 Audio Issue

Hi everyone, I'm having quite an issue with my audio system. I have a 2007 Lexus IS250 with navigation that I bought used. The only aftermarket parts are the door speakers, which are brand new. The front speakers all cut out randomly and seem to especially cut out when going over a rough surface (train tracks, speedbumps, stuff like that). Here's the weird part though:

If I don't use the input (FM or AUX or AM), the speakers will work fine and not cut out for about 2 hours of driving, then slowly the right side speakers will begin to cut out, then the left, until they stop working all together (usually over about a week of driving). So say I haven't listened to AM radio for a couple weeks; when i select that function, the speakers work fine for a little while.

The only thing I've done so far is look at the speakers and replace the ones I found that were blown, I'm not really sure what to do. I took it to a shop once and after keeping it for a few days and test driving it again, they say its fine because they cannot recreate the problem (because they aren't driving it long enough for the problem to start happening again).

Any ideas? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-12, 04:35 AM
Group Moderator
This may be more of a question for the radio/tv/electronics section guys; we'll see if anyone has ideas. My only thought was a loose connector/plug somewhere in the system. Is this a "premium" 6-speaker (the usual 4, plus two little tweeters mounted at the corner of the front windows near the side mirrors) Toyota system?

Old 09-19-12, 10:30 AM
Yes sir its the premium. two tweeters in the corner + 2 front door speakers. Thanks!

Old 09-19-12, 01:54 PM
Group Moderator
Okay, you could have an issue with the connection between the radio and the amp. We have an '01 Camry with that setup and the amp sits behind the glove box. The kicker is that it is not standard wiring between the two (at least not on ours, and I'm guessing yours may be the same) but rather some kind of optical affair (vice simple copper wiring). I know this because couple of years ago I installed an aftermarket stereo and had to bypass the amp because of this connection issue.

Old 09-19-12, 02:19 PM
Come to think of it, that probably is the issue. pretty sure the amp wiring is all messed up. Thanks so much!